Starbucks is more than just a coffee shop. It’s more of a refreshment stop, with teas, juices, and blended drinks for adults and kids alike, such as the Starbucks Sour Patch Kids Refresher.
Starbucks Sour Patch Kids refresher is a drink-take on the sour patch kid candy: sour taste as you begin to drink, and very sweet at the end. This is quite an enjoyable drink, as I found out recently. It is quite refreshing on a hot day, and kids just love it. In this post, we’ll go through how to make one at home, but before we get to that, let me share some interesting bits I have discovered about this drink.
Brief History of The Drink
The Sour patch kids’ refresher is one of the famed TikTok drinks, so-called because they gained popularity on this platform. A user posted a video of their creation on TikTok in 2020 which quickly went viral. More TikTok users started sharing their creations of the same drink, with a few variations. As a result, the total number of Tiktok views for the Sour Patch kids’ refresher stands at 128.5 million.
Is Sour Patch Kids Refresher still available at Starbucks?
Yes, the Sour patch kids’ refresher is still available at Starbucks. Because it’s a secret menu item, you need to let the barista know the ingredients and quantities you want in your drink.
Sour Patch Kids Refresher: Sizes, nutrition, Caffeine & Calories
What’s In a Sour Patch Kids Refresher- (Ingredients)
According to the coffeeatthree blog, the Starbucks Sour Patch Kids drink is made of Lemonade, 3 pumps of classic syrup and 3 pumps raspberry syrup and a splash of strawberry acai.
Lemonade: Starbucks lemonade is a regular menu item made of water, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon oil. This is the base drink that gives the drink the sour taste. To make lemonade at home, you will need to first make lemon juice. 5 to 6 medium-sized lemons will make you a cup of lemon juice. You can also purchase 100% lemonade at your local store, or online from Walmart.
Classic syrup: This Starbucks syrup is served in pumps and is made up of Water, Sugar, natural flavors, and preserved with citric acid (E 330) and Potassium sorbate (E202). Starbucks sells this syrup in bottles at the coffee shop, you can order at the counter or drive-thru’. You can also buy at double the price on Amazon. The syrup is easy to make, you need just two ingredients- 3 parts sugar and 2 parts of water.
Raspberry syrup: This Starbucks syrup is also made up of Water, Sugar, natural flavors, and preserved with citric acid (E 330) and Potassium sorbate (E202). A homemade version needs 3 simple ingredients: Raspberries, sugar, and water. Alternatively, get a bottle from Starbucks or Amazon. Store-bought raspberry syrup keeps longer due to preservatives.
Strawberry Acai: Starbucks Acai refresher gives the Sour patch kids drink its sweet and fruity taste. It is made of Strawberry Acai Base (Sugar, Water, White Grape Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Natural Green Coffee flavor, Vegetable, and Fruit Juice, and Rebaudioside-a), Freeze-dried Strawberries, and Ice. You can make a copycat version at home or replace it with strawberry puree.
Sour Patch Kids Refresher: Sizes, nutrition, Caffeine & Calories
What Sizes Are Available
There are 4 cup sizes to choose from- the 12 fl oz tall, 16 fl oz grande, 24 fl oz venti, or 30 fl oz trenta cups. I find the grande to be just the right size. The tall cup doesn’t quite satisfy me, and since the refresher is very sweet, anything more than a grande will be overwhelming.
Just like any other Starbucks refresher, the Sour Patch Refresher is a summer drink that will make you feel hydrated and refreshed. At 335 calories in a grande, the drink compares well with many Starbucks beverages. However, Starbucks beverages are not the standard, otherwise, we can go and have as many Sour Patch kids drinks as we wish. We need to use standards such as the 2,000 calories daily intake to evaluate it, and from the looks of things, this drink doesn’t rate well at all.
For starters, the calories are due to the high amount of carbs. The drink has 82 grams of carbs, to which dietary fiber contribute just 5 percent of the amount required in a day. The rest of the carbs are due to sugar. This drink’s sugar content is more than 150 percent recommended daily amount. all in a grande cup.
The drink does not have any essential fats, proteins, antioxidants, or vitamins, meaning it is made up of empty calories. In other words, the drink has low nutritional value relative to its energy content. Over-reliance on food with empty calories has negative health consequences.
It is not unfair to surmise that the drink is made up of water, sugar, flavorings, a bit of caffeine, and less than a pinch of salt.
All said and done, if one wants low calories in their drinks, water, with zero calories is as safe as it gets. However, life is never that simple- we need flavors and sugar, if for nothing else to make us feel good and to live for the moment. An occasional Sour Patch Kids refresher, therefore, with a balanced diet is probably the best way to go.
In the table below, I’ve summarized all the facts discussed above:
|Calorie count (out of 2,000 calories daily intake)||335|
|Nutrient Content (per Grande serving)||% Of Daily Value|
|Total carbohydrates (82g)
Dietary Fiber (1.3g)
The Sour Patch Kids’ refresher contains 35mg of Caffeine in a grande cup. This is about 9% of the recommended daily maximum for an adult, and 50% for children.
So, What Does Sour Patch Kids Refresher Taste Like?
Just like the sour patch candy, the drink has a sour taste, to begin with, then gets very sweet as you get to the bottom of the cup. It also has floral aftertastes.
Ways to Customize a Sour Patch Kids Refresher at Starbucks – Sour Patch Kids Refresher Variations
The good thing about Starbucks drinks is that if you don’t like a drink for some reason, you can always make changes to it. It could be anything from trying to make it more nutritious or making it more exciting to taste and look at. You can craft a variation to suit your needs. This is the case with the Sour Patch Kids refresher. Some fans prefer a Strawberry Acai Lemonade base instead of plain Lemonade. For the topping, since the Strawberry Acai is already in the base, they use Iced Passion Tango Tea in its’ place. With this variation, you get a less sour more sweet drink that is still just as tantalizing as the lemonade-based version.
How to make Sour Patch Kids Refresher at home -Sour Patch Kids Refresher Copycat Recipe
- Drink stirrer
- 1 cup lemonade
- 1 ½ tablespoon classic syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoon raspberry syrup
- ½ cup ice
- 1 cup strawberry puree
- ½ tablespoon passion fruit flavor
- Mix the strawberry puree and the passion fruit flavor in a small jar
- Pour the lemonade into a separate jar
- .Put the classic and the raspberry syrup into the jar with the lemonade and stir until well mixed
- Pour the lemonade mix into ½ fill serving glass. Put in some ice
- Top the glass with the strawberry puree passion flavor mix
- The lemonade used to make this refresher is homemade. I squeezed 5 medium-sized lemons and used 50 grams of sugar and 1 ½ cup of water to make the cup of lemonade.
- The Classic syrup is also homemade. The simple syrup is made of 3 parts sugar to 2 parts of water, stirred, and simmered until all sugar is dissolved. Let syrup cool down before use. Sugar does not dissolve well in cold drinks, and that is why the syrup is made for use in cool drinks. This syrup is good for use for up to 3 weeks if stored in airtight containers in the fridge.
- I used homemade raspberry syrup too. All you need to make it is 1 ½ cup of raspberries, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 ½ cup of water. Dissolve the sugar in the water and as it simmers over a stove, put in the raspberries and bring to a boil. Smash the raspberries, and strain to remove raspberry skin and seeds. Let the resultant syrup cool. This will give you slightly more than 1 cup of syrup. Store in fridge in an airtight container. Can keep fresh for up to 7 days.
- I used store-bought strawberry puree and passion fruit flavor. I plan to use these for other drinks and so needed something with a longer shelf life.
- My homemade sour patch kids’ refresher is caffeine-free. If you enjoy the green coffee taste or want to make the drink to closely match Starbucks’ one, you can make some green coffee from green coffee bean powder to add to the strawberry puree.
How to order the Sour Patch Kids Refresher at Starbucks?
Ask for a grande lemonade with 3 pumps of classic syrup, and 3 pumps of raspberry syrup. Tell the barista to top it with a splash of Strawberry Acai.
Is Sour Patch Kids Refresher good?
Having a Starbucks Sour Patch Kids Refresher occasionally will not harm you.
How much is the Sour Patch Kids Refresher at Starbucks?
A grande will cost you $4.75 since this is lemonade with extra syrup pumps and an iced tea splash. Starbucks charges for extra syrup if the syrup was not in the original drink. A splash will be charged if it exceeds 4 ounces.
What is the new sour patch kid flavor?
The new sour patch kid has two flavors: Watermelon and Original.