This refresher drink combines complex fruity flavors with a touch of acidity and a kick of caffeine to get you invigorated and refreshed. So, what is the Starbucks Mango Dragonfruit Lemonade Refresher all about, and how can you make your own?
When I am not having pizza and lazing around on Sunday afternoons, I am definitely having a bike ride with my son around the neighborhood. We sometimes get adventurous and cover a couple of blocks to our nearest Starbucks. My son always asks for an iced strawberry lemonade, but since I got introduced to the mango dragonfruit lemonade refresher, I have not had any other cold drink from the refresher menu. Seeing as I love the drink so much, I have prepared a breakdown of its taste, variations, sizes, ingredients, and even a recipe for a homemade version. Here goes.
Table of Contents
This drink became a permanent part of the Starbucks cold beverages menu in both the United States and Canada in June of 2018. It is a creative beverage that incorporates warm and vibrant flavors, and that is why it is very popular.
As popular as the drink is, it is only available in the USA and Canada, and it is yet to be introduced in other countries.
Yes, the drink is still available in Starbucks outlets. It is served in cups that come in several sizes, and the best thing about it is that you can customize your drink when making an order.
Unlike several Starbucks drinks, however, it is not available in cans or bottles and is only made to order. For this reason, it may be hard to buy to stash in your fridge when you want to.
Starbucks Mango Dragonfruit Lemonade Refresher (Ingredients, Taste, Variations, Sizes, Caffeine, Calories)
Here is a detailed list of ingredients used in making the Starbucks Mango Dragonfruit Lemonade Refresher;
- Mango dragonfruit refresher base – The base of this drink is made from a mixture of mango and dragonfruit juice. Both are made to very watery consistencies so that the drink is generally light as compared to smoothies made from mango and dragonfruit pulp. The juices are rich in flavor, and this is why the drink is vibrant. The base also includes water and sugar.
- Lemonade – This is constituted using lemon juice, sugar, water, and lemon oil. This is largely why the drink is very vibrant and characteristically tart. The acidity in the lemonade balances the sugar of the juice quite well.
- White grape juice concentrate – The concentrate also adds a layer of texture and flavor to the drink. It is sweet and acidic which allows it to work with the lemonade to compliment the drink.
- Natural green coffee flavor – When added to the drink, the green coffee flavor brings an earthiness and warmth to the refresher, and this elevates the overall taste by quite a bit.
- Freeze-dried dragonfruit pieces – These are added to the drink to give it more character and an extra pop of color. I like to nibble on them when I have downed my refresher.
- Flavor builders – To enhance the flavor of the refresher, there are a few additives included, and some of them are natural flavors and citric acid which elevates the acidity of the drink.
One of the aspects that stand out the best about this list of ingredients is that there is a healthy dose of natural products. Apart from the sugar, there are no other calorie-dense inclusions, and this makes the Starbucks mango Dragonfruit Lemonade refresher an easy favorite.
What sizes are available
This drink is available in 4 main cup sizes. The smallest available cup size for this refresher is the Tall cup. It comes with a total of 12 fl oz per serving. The Tall is followed by the Grande which is easily the most popular cup size for this refresher and several other dinks. A Grande gives you up to 16 fl oz of the mango dragonfruit lemonade refresher.
Larger cup sizes include the Venti which comes with 24 fl oz of the refresher and the Trenta (the largest) which contains 30 fl oz of the drink. Usually, when people want their drinks with extra ice, they order the Venti or Trenta cup sizes since these have no trouble holding large amounts of drink and extra ice as well.
Due to the number of ingredients used, this drink boasts a good deal of nutritionally sound components. You can expect to get a lot of vitamins and antioxidants. There is also not an overload of sugar, making it a good drink for keeping your sugar intake controlled.
When you order a grande cup, your drink comes with a total of 140 calories which is pretty decent considering the size. It, however, is not ideal to have on a daily basis if you are looking to lose weight or keep fit.
Below is a tabulated representation of the drink’s nutritional facts.
|140 per serving
The mango dragonfruit lemonade smoothie comes with a total of 45mg of caffeine when you order the Grande cup. Being that the caffeine does not meet the daily threshold for an adult, it is not exactly a drink to have when you want a significant amount of caffeine.
Surprisingly, this drink does not taste much like mango, dragonfruit, or even lemonade. Because of the recipe and how ingredients are portioned, the drink has a berry-like flavor and a whiff of mango. It is also quite sweet and has a nice acidic balance that makes for a delightful treat.
Ways to customize the Starbucks Mango Dragonfruit Lemonade Refresher – Mango Dragonfruit Lemonade Refresher Variations
Here are a few customization ideas you can use when ordering this drink;
- Ask the barista to add milk
If you want to add that characteristic milk taste to your drink, you can ask the barista to include it. You can have regular cold milk or nut milk if you are lactose intolerant.
- Ask for flavored syrup
Instead of the classic Starbucks syrup, you can ask the barista to add a pump or two of vanilla, hazelnut, or any other flavored syrup of your choice.
- Have it with tea instead of coffee
If you are not keen on the coffee flavor, you can have tea added to give you the caffeine you need. You can also skip it altogether if you do not want any caffeine in your refresher.
How to make Starbucks Mango Dragonfruit Lemonade Refresher at Home – Mango Dragonfruit Lemonade Refresher Copycat Recipe
- A clean bowl
- A hand whisk
- Drinking glass
- Drinking straw
- Dragonfruit powder
- 100% pure mango juice
- White grape juice
- Ice cubes
- Frozen dragonfruit cubes (optional)
- Sugar (Optional)
- Constitute the refresher baseIn a clean bowl, add two scoops of the freeze-dried dragonfruit powder then proceed to add the white grape juice. Whisk them until they are completely incorporated.
- Prep the drinking glassIn a clean drinking glass, add ice cubes until half full. Proceed to add the refresher base made in step 1.
- Add the mango juice and lemonadeAdd the mango juice and lemonade in that order over the ice cubes and refresher base.
- Add the frozen dragonfruit cubesTop the drink with the frozen dragonfruit cubes and stir the drink. If you want it sweet, you can add the syrup. Enjoy!
- You have to whisk the dragonfruit powder vigorously to make sure it dissolves completely.
- If you want caffeine in your refresher, you can add green coffee extract. It will also add a layer of flavor to the drink.
- You can replace the lemonade with regular milk or nut milk if you want less acidity in your drink.
How do you order a mango dragonfruit lemonade refresher?
Ask the barista for a mango dragonfruit lemonade refresher and specify cup size and any other customizations you want.
Is the mango dragonfruit refresher good?
Yes, the drink tastes really good and is a great treat to have on a hot day.
How much is a mango dragonfruit lemonade refresher?
A grande costs $4.74, and a venti costs $5.25.
Is the mango dragonfruit lemonade refresher vegan?
Yes, the drink does not contain any dairy or animal product in the recipe.
Is the mango dragonfruit lemonade refresher healthy?
It is full of vitamins and antioxidants, but it is not ideal to have with the intention of keeping fit or staying healthy.
If you are looking for a fun drink to have on a hot day, this is easily one of the best ones to choose. The fact that it is customizable gives you the freedom to have a different variation with any order. You can also make your own at home in less than 10 minutes.
Kai Jordan worked as a Certified Nutrition Specialist and now a food critic whose main objective is to provide consumers with as much information as they need to make the right choices concerning foods and drinks. Jordan is passionate about helping the public reach their health-related goals but also keen on reviewing foods and drinks offered by some of the famous restaurants the likes of Starbucks.
Kai has therefore created well-researched and comprehensive excerpts regarding the services and products offered by the giant restaurant chain. And which can be retrieved from Starbmag.com, apart from talking writing, and dealing with food Kai loves also to Kayak. You can read more about me on the about us page.