The Starbucks Jolly Rancher Refresher drink packs the natural sweetness of starfruit and kiwi fruit, topped with frozen-dried kiwi pieces. We’re glad to share all there is to know about this drink.
We know it’s time to enjoy Starbucks summer smoothies and juices as summer approaches. Being the first-ever full summer out after the COVID-19 strike, I want to enjoy my fun in full. This year I will be starting my summer with a sip of the sweet Starbucks Jolly Rancher Refresher. Also called the Kiwi Starfruit Starbucks Refreshers, this drink joined the ranks of Mango Dragonfruit and Strawberry Acai. I’m already craving this drink, just writing about it.
So, if you can’t wait till summer to taste this drink like I couldn’t wait the first time I had it, I’ve made this recipe and ingredient list to help you make it. And in case you want to know its taste before you make it, you’ll also find it here, including how to order it at Starbucks when summer arrives.
This Kiwi Star Fruit refresher was among the three colorful fruity drinks that Starbucks released in 2020, including the Star Drink and the Iced Guava Passionfruit Drink. Starbucks hoped to boost people’s spirits amid the COVID-19 pandemic with tasty, bright-colored drinks and beverages. In fact, the first time I had the kiwi jolly rancher refresher, I wished I had ordered its larger size, and I’m waiting for summer to do exactly that.
So, what exactly is the Starbucks Jolly Rancher Refresher?
The Starbucks Jolly Rancher Refresher is a summer drink that features a juice flavor with starfruit, toppings of chunks of Kiwi Pisces that soften as you sip, Ice, green coffee flavor, flavors, fruit juice for color, and Frozen-dried Kiwi. Interestingly, it looks radioactive with the neon-green hue and tastes like a Jolly Rancher, earning it the name Jolly Rancher Refresher.
Yes, the Starbucks Jolly Rancher Refresher drink is currently available at Starbucks as a special menu item. But it will be available as a menu item in the summer because it’s a seasonal drink available in the summer. This refresher is your perfect hot summer drink or anytime you’re craving to have a fruity iced beverage. I am proud to say that the Jolly Rancher refresher is a mildly tropical flavor that can meet your soul on a sunny summer afternoon. And if you’re a Kiwi fan, you’ll find the dried-frozen Kiwi pieces delightful. It’s an amazing drink when taken with a group of friends, passing time together.
You must be wondering what’s actually in a Starbucks jolly rancher refresher that makes it great in the summer. First, you must understand that the Jolly Rancher Refresher is a Starbucks secret menu refresher. This means the ingredients are secret.
The ingredients in this drink are Kiwi Star Fruit Refresher Base (which includes water, sugar, citric acid, white grape juice, and turmeric), Ice, green coffee flavor, natural flavors, fruit juice for color, Frozen-dried kiwi, and Rebaudioside A.
Let’s look at each of these ingredients below:
- Kiwi Starfruit Refresher Base. This includes Kiwi, Starfruit, water, sugar, citric acid, white grape juice concentrate, Natural flavors, and turmeric. The base is the drink’s main ingredient, giving it a refreshing, sweet-sour taste with natural flavors.
- Natural green coffee flavor. To give it the natural coffee flavor taste different from other refreshers.
- Fruit juice. Starbucks includes fruit juice for the green hue color of the drink.
- Frozen-dried Kiwi. This gives the drink a great taste and softens your lips as you sip. The kiwi pieces float on the drink to give it a great appearance and green hue.
- Rebaudioside A (Reb A) and turmeric. Reb-A is a natural sweetener derived from the stevia plant. It’s usually sweeter than sugar. The higher the amount of turmeric, the better.
- Ice. This gives the Jolly rancher its cold, icy taste that calms the lips and body.
- Green tea (optional, to add a touch of caffeine)
The Starbucks Jolly Rancher Refresher is available in the usual Starbucks sizes: Tall, Grande, Venti, and Trenta. So, when you order, say you want Jolly Rancher Refresher, or you can mention the Grande if you want to be more specific.
The Starbucks Jolly Rancher Refresher belongs to the category of healthy drinks. I’m not just saying this because I love Starbucks or the drink but because it is truly healthy. First, there is nothing artificial about this drink from the Kiwi Starfruit Refresher Base of the natural sweeteners and flavors. But that is not all. This drink is low on carbs, which is the health element everyone often rushes to check. But healthy or not is usually a matter of perception. So, I want to share with you some vital nutritional facts and let you be the judge.
Note that the nutritional facts I’m sharing are based on a grande size cup and calculated based on the standard diet of 2,000 calories per day.
This cold refresher contains between 70-180 calories depending on the size, which is a confirmation that it’s a healthy drink and way below the average daily required calories. These calories majorly come from the sugar 26g, sweetener, and 35g of carbs. The calories balance well with the other elements in the drink, such as Protein: 2g, Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Vitamin A: 111IU, Vitamin C: 86mg, Calcium: 54mg, Sodium: 12mg, and Potassium: 361mg, Fiber: 4g. It also has traces of iron in it, which improves its benefits to the body.
Here is a summary table of the vital nutritional facts found in a Starbucks Jolly Rancher Refresher Grande:
|Calorie count (out of 2,000 calories daily intake)
Calories from fat: 0%
|Nutrient Content (per Grande serving)||% Of Daily Value|
|Total Fat (1 g)
Trans Fat (0)
Saturated Fat (1 g)
|Total carbohydrates (35 g)
Sugar (28 g)
Dietary Fiber (4 g)
|Sodium (12 mg)||1%|
Vitamin A (111 IUg)
Vitamin C (86 mg)
Apart from being natural and healthy, the Starbucks Jolly Rancher Refresher isn’t caffeine-free. It has little amounts of caffeine. The caffeine content also depends on the size you order. A tall size35 mg caffeine; a grande has 45 mg; a venti has 70 mg; a Trenta has 90 mg.
This drink doesn’t taste like Kiwi at all, as you’d think it does. It is less sweet with some sourness of the starfruit, more refreshing, and leaves the taste of a punchier green Jolly Rancher. In fact, if you’ve eaten fresh starfruit before, you probably noticed its mild and almost apple-like flavor in the Jolly Rancher refresher, which leaves it almost tasting like apple juice!
There are many ways you can customize the Starbucks Jolly Rancher Refresher. If you want to give it a touch of caffeine, you can add green tea instead of water to your refresher, and the caffeine will be just enough. The green tea will also add green color and make it better. You’ll have to brew a double-strength tea and let it cool first before you start making your refresher. Also, depending on the sweetness or ripeness of your kiwis, you might add a squeeze or two of lime juice to brighten up the refresher. You can also transform the Kiwi Star Fruit refresher drink into a creamy Star Drink by adding coconut milk instead of water or tea.
- Pitcher (or large bowl) or blender
- Cocktail shaker (or mason jar with a screw-on lid)
- ½ cup fresh kiwi juice (extracted from 3-5 kiwis)
- ½-1 teaspoon green coffee extract for caffeine (optional). Starbucks uses Natural green coffee flavor.
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup white grape juice (2 cups if serving 2)
- 1 cup Fruit juice
- 1 cup water
- Ice (as desired)
- Slices of frozen-dried Kiwi
- Fresh star fruit peeled for garnish.
- Green tea (optional)
- ½-1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
- Rebaudioside A (Reb-A) and turmeric for garnish (optional)
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan or brew green tea and let it cool.
- Make a kiwi star fruit base. Add kiwi juice, lime (Juice), white grape juice, and green coffee extract to a pitcher or large bowl or pitcher. A blender can do the work well.
- Stir well continuously to combine completely.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the sugar water or green tea with the kiwi star fruit base.
- Shake the drink for a great flavor and texture for 10 seconds to one minute. Make the grape juice, kiwi juice, and water/tea into the jar and fill it to ¾, leaving the remaining potion for Ice.
- Serve cold by pouring directly into the serving glasses.
- You can turn your drink into a Star Fruit drink with a splash of coconut milk.
- You can add a teaspoon of simple syrup for a sweeter drink.
- If you want to drink it for days, make an entire pitcher have a large batch you can enjoy anytime you want
You can say a Grande standard to get the Starbucks standard or specify the type of drink you want. To specify, Start with the size, say a Grande Jolly Rancher; specify water or green tea); add sugar (or preferred sweetener), specific flavor, and include lemonade.
Yes, the Real freeze-dried kiwi pieces and grape juice is shaken with fruit juice, water/green tea, and Ice is a great drink for summer. And it’s a healthy drink with less caffeine.
It’s not cheap, and the price depends on the size. A tall size will cost slightly above $3.45. I remember buying a grande at $5.25.