I know you saw on TikTok; how much people were talking about Starbucks blue refresher and if its real. Find out below everything there is to know about the drink.
Starbucks has always found a way to appeal to our hearts, and this they achieve by inventing exciting products every now and then. I got so excited when I saw that Starbucks finally added one more color, blue, to their rainbow collection of drinks. Blue is my personal favorite color, so I fell in love with this blue refresher. I came up with this article to tell you everything I know about it, including its recipe, if you intend to make a replica of it at home to save your money. The Starbucks blue refresher gives you the perfect summer company, especially if you are keen to have something that is not too sugary. Let me take you through the details, starting with a brief history.
Brief history of the drink
The name blue drink first came to the limelight when it was shared in a baristas Facebook group with the intention of poking fun at how crazy some customers’ orders can be to baristas. It later leaked on TikTok and soon afterwards, people kept bothering baristas in different Starbuck stores to make them the Blue drink which they referred to as the tropical refresher. Turns out there were no any blue chemicals at Starbucks that could be used to make such a color of drink, but what is actually there is more of a light blue purple color. The blue drink is among the famous rainbow drinks that Starbucks introduced and many people find them quite appealing. It is named blue drink in reference to its color that it draws from the blueberries added to it.
Is Starbucks blue refresher still available at Starbucks?
Yes, it is, so long as you know how to order it, you are always going to have this Starbucks blue refresher. Given that it is not available in the regular menu, do not expect your barista to have mastered how to make it. Go to the counter with full information of its recipe and your serving time will be as fast as you want it.
Starbucks blue refresher (Ingredients, Taste, Variations, Sizes, Caffeine, Calories
What’s in a Starbucks blue refresher?
Just like other items on the Starbucks’s secret menu, the Starbucks blue freshener is made up of other items that are or the regular menu. Here is the breakdown of the items:
- Iced Passion Tango Tea- This is made from a blend of lemongrass and apple, cinnamon, licorice root, hibiscus flowers and hand shaken with ice. As the name suggests, it is infused with the color of passion and is regarded by Starbuck as refreshingly vibrant tea.
- Coconut milk- Starbucks coconut milk is a blend of cane sugar, coconut milk and tricalcium phosphate. It is free of any artificial flavors or preservatives and is thus suitable for anyone who prefers plant-based options. The coconut milk has high quantities of vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Iron and Calcium.
- Vanilla syrup- The Vanilla syrup’s ingredients are potassium sorbate which acts as a preservative, citric acid, natural flavor, water and sugar.
Starbucks blue refresher: Sizes, nutrition, Caffeine & Calories
What sizes are available?
Just like all the other beverages on both the regular and secret menus, the Starbucks blue refresher is available in four sizes including Tall with a capacity of 12 fl oz, Grande with capacity of 16 fl oz, Venti with a capacity of 24 fl oz and finally Trenta with 30 fl oz. I personally prefer the Grande for my hot summer afternoons. I would recommend that if you are trying this for the first time, take the tall one and if you like it, advance your size step by step. This is a money saving strategy that every economist will tell you about.
The Starbuck blue refresher’s nutritional facts are drawn from its components including iced passion tango tea, coconut milk and vanilla syrup. Averagely, in a serving size of 2, there is a total fat of 57.2 g, saturated fat 50.7g, total carbs of 29 g, 5.5 g of proteins, total sugars of 23.7 g, dietary fiber of 5.3 g, calcium of 38 mg, sodium of 40 mg, iron of 4 mg, Potassium of 631 mg and 100 calories.
The table below gives a summary of the nutritional quantities that I have discussed above.
|Total fat||57.2 g|
|Saturated fat||50.7 g|
|Total carbs||29 g|
|Dietary fiber||5.3 g|
Starbucks blue refresher does not have caffeine in it which is a good or a bad thing depending on whether you want caffeine in your drink or not. The Iced passion tango tea from which this drink is made is one of the few items at Starbucks that does not have caffeine. If you are making it on your own at home, consider purchasing tea bags used in the recipe from your local Starbucks store and add it to your blue drink.
So, what does the Starbucks blue refresher taste like?
The Starbucks blue refresher is minimally sweet. Thanks to the black tea (iced passion tango tea), it has a subtle taste, which is the single most prevalent component among others. If you have ever tasted the Starbucks purple drink then you know what the blue refresher tastes like because they are made from the same components. Only that the blue one has blueberries added to it. This blue drink is however sweeter. It is a perfect summer drink that you don’t want to miss out on. The best thing about Starbucks is that you can customize literally everything while you are doing the ordering to come up with you perfect preference. It is so relieving to know that you can choose the desired flavor for your drink rather than being tied to a particular fixed recipe.
Ways to customize a blue refresher at Starbucks – Starbucks blue refresher Variations
When ordering for the blue refresher, customize each of its components as you deem best, these are your options.
Iced passion tango tea
- flavors- you can choose to either have caramel syrup, brown sugar syrup, cinnamon dolce syrup, hazelnut syrup, peppermint syrup, toasted vanilla syrup, nut syrup, raspberry syrup, vanilla syrup or sugar free vanilla syrup. In the case of the blue refresher, vanilla syrup is best for you to ultimately achieve the blue color.
- Juice options -choose between apple juice and peach juice blend. In each category you can go for extra, light, normal or none.
- Toppings- the list of toppings you can choose from include vanilla sweet cream cold foam, cold foam, chocolate cream cold foam and salted caramel cream cold foam.
- Sweeteners- your options are classic syrup, honey blend, stevia in the raw, cane sugar, Splenda, sugar in the raw and honey. I would recommend the cane sugar in particular for the iced tea as is the case for the blue refresher that we are talking about.
- You may also choose to add matcha powder to the tea and in this category, you can select the number of scoops you need.
- Ice- you can customize your ice by adding splashes of either coconut milk or soymilk for the case of the blue refresher.
How to make Starbucks blue refresher at home- Starbucks blue refresher copycat Recipe
- Iced passion tea bag
- Vanilla extract
- A cup of soymilk
- Iced passion tea bag
- Boiled water
- Vanilla extract (tablespoon)
- Iced cubes
- Blueberry juice
- Put about a cup of water to boil
- Place the passion tea bag in a jug
- Pour the tea bag into the boiling water
- Let the mixture to boil for approximately 10 minutes
- Dispose the tea bag and let the mixture cool.
- Pour blueberry juice into the cooled mixture
- Mix vanilla extract and the soy sauce in a jug
- Shake properly to mix, and there you have your blue refresher.
- Serve it in a glass full of ice cubes and drink cold.
- You can use coconut milk instead of soymilk
- You will not manage to produce the Starbuck style blue drink if you do not mix properly.
How do you order a blue refresher at Starbucks?
If you are at the Starbucks store already, just tell the barista to give you Iced passion tango tea, then ask for coconut milk or soymilk to be added to it, (just one of these) then finally request for vanilla syrup.
Is the Starbucks blue refresher good?
Yes, it is good. It is not overly sweet. It is particularly good for those who are trying to get rid of caffeine from their diet. The iced passion tango tea from which it is made is one of the few drinks at Starbucks which is caffeine free.
Does the Starbucks blue refresher have gummy worms?
Yes. Starbucks blue refresher, like other refreshers in the Starbucks menu have gummy worms.