It’s refreshers season once again, and the drinks flying out of the Starbucks drive-thru window seem odder by the day. Stay tuned to find out what the Starbucks Blue Drink is and how to make it at home.
The first time I heard about the blue drink was last summer when a customer in front of me received a cup filled with a strange blue-looking drink. I was intrigued, so I went scouring the interwebs to find the ingredients, from the so-called Starbucks secret menu. To my pleasant surprise, I found out it is a super sweet, fruity flavored drink that is quite enjoyable. Today I will share what I now know plus how you can make a similar drink from the comfort of your home.
Brief History Of The Drink
The blue drink seems to have made its first appearance in 2020. Did you know, it is now recognized as one of five rainbow color drinks?. The others are the pink drink, orange drink, green drink, and purple drink. Pink drink has been promoted to the regular menu so you can order it by name. The rest are still on the secret menu, meaning you need to have the precise crafting instructions to see the colors, and flavors you crave.
Is Blue Drink still available at Starbucks?
Yes, the ingredients to make the Blue drink are all still available at Starbucks.
Starbucks Blue Drink (Ingredients, Taste, Variations, Sizes, Caffeine, Calories)
- What’s in a Blue Drink – (ingredients)
According to izzycooking , the Starbucks blue drink is a crafted beverage made of iced passion tea, soymilk, and vanilla syrup.
- Passion Iced Tea: Starbucks Iced Passion Tea bags contain hibiscus, apple, and lemongrass, shaken with ice. It has 0 calories. You can use passion herbal tea by Tazo, available at your local stores or on Amazon.
- Soy milk: Starbucks soy milk has sweetener and flavoring, making it high in calories. At home, you can use coconut milk which has fewer calories.
- Vanilla syrup: Starbucks Vanilla syrup contains sweeteners and flavorings. 1 pump has 20 calories and 5 grams of sugar. This Vanilla syrup is available at the stores. Customize this drink by sweetening it using simple syrup or Stevia.
- Blueberry Juice( Optional): For intense blue color, add blueberries. Add more milk to your home recipe if the color goes off.
- Starbucks Blue Drink: Sizes, nutrition, Caffeine & Calories
What Sizes Are Available
There are four cup size options for this drink. A 12 fl oz Tall or 16 fl oz Grande, or the 24 fl oz Venti, or even a 30 fl oz Trenta. I prefer the venti cup although I’d recommend a smaller cup for starters. When placing your order, start by telling the barista the cup size you want.
The following facts are calculated based on a standard diet of 2,000 calories a day. A grande cup is used.
The Starbucks blue drink has 145 calories. The soymilk, with 2.5 grams of carbohydrates, will give you only 1% of the daily recommended amount. The milk contributes 3 grams of fat, 1.5 grams of fiber, and 6 grams of protein, all below the recommended daily intake.
However, with the standard 4 pumps of vanilla syrup, you get 80 calories and 20 grams of sugar- which is quite high.
If you are on a low-calorie or the keto diet I’d recommend going slow on this one. Use less vanilla, or get a smaller cup if you must enjoy it in full.
Below is a table that summarizes the foregoing nutrition facts:
|Calorie count (out of 2,000 calories daily intake)||145|
|Nutrient Content (per Grande serving)||% of Daily Value|
|Total Fat (3g)||6%|
The Starbucks blue drink is caffeine-free.
- So, what does Starbucks Blue Drink taste like?
Tastes fruity and floral, with a creamy sweetness.
- Ways to Customize Blue Drink at Starbucks – Starbucks BLUE DRINK Variations
The beauty of Starbucks is in the ability to customize. For the Blue Drink, you can swap out the soymilk for the healthier coconut milk. This variation has fewer calories and sugar. It is an excellent alternative if you don’t mind the coconut taste.
The amount of blueberries determines if the drink is a Blue drink, or the popular Purple drink, so customize to your pleasure.
How to make Starbucks Blue Drink at home - Starbucks Blue Drink Copycat Recipe
- Measuring cup
- 1 passion tea bag
- ¼ cup water boiled
- 2 tablespoons sugar or simple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups soy milk
- ½ cup blueberry juice
- Ice cubes
- Put the passion tea bag in the tea cup and pour in hot water.
- Let the tea steep for 3-5 minutes and cool in the refrigerator.(Steps 1 &2 can be done hours before the next ones.)
- In the pitcher, pour ¼ cup of cooled passion tea and ½ cup of blueberry juice.
- Pour soymilk into the pitcher and mix well.Add sugar or syrup to taste. Stir to blend.
- Get about ¾ full tumbler of ice, and pour it into the mixture in the pitcher. Serve.
Go to Iced Teas, and select Passion Tango Tea. Go to add-in creamers and a select splash of Soymilk. On flavors, add 4 pumps of Vanilla syrup.
Does Starbucks have Blue Drink all year round?
Yes, you can get Blue Drink all year round.
Is the Starbucks Blue Drink healthy?
Yes, if taken in moderation.
How much is the Starbucks Blue Drink?
Starbucks blue drink will cost you $3.35 for a grande cup, and $3.65 for the venti.