Since we can’t visit Hogsmeade, the Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino is the next best thing. Read on to find out more about this secret menu beverage.
I grew up watching Harry Potter and when I learnt that Starbucks had a “Harry Potter” drink, I had to try it out. Since the Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino is on the secret menu, I had to master its recipe, to be able to order it. Continue reading to know how you can order the drink from the Starbucks app or prepare it at home.
Brief History of the Drink
Starbucks was inspired by Butterbeer (the fictitious drink from Harry Potter) to create its Butterbeer Frappuccino. For around $6 for a grande size, the Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino was a craze among the customers when it came out. Different variations have been created since.
Is Butterbeer Frappuccino still available at Starbucks?
Yes. The Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino is still available but on the secret menu and not on the main menu.
Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino (Ingredients, Taste, Variations, Sizes, Caffeine, Calories)
What’s in a Butterbeer Frappuccino – (Ingredients)
The Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino has Crème Frappuccino as the base drink. The additions are; caramel drizzle, caramel, cinnamon dolce and toffee nut syrup, whipped cream and dark caramel sauce.
Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino: Sizes, Nutrition, Caffeine and Calories
What sizes are available
The Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino has 3 sizes; a tall (12 ounces), a grande (16 ounces) and a venti (24 ounces).
A venti Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino has about 445 calories and a grande has about 380 calories.
The table below summarises the nutritional facts of a venti size Butterbeer Frappuccino, based on a 2000 calorie diet.
|Nutrient Content (per 24fl oz. serving)||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat (5g)
Saturated fat (3g)
Trans fat (0g)
|Total carbs (85g)||26%|
|Dietary Fibre (0g)||0%|
The Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino contains a small amount of caffeine in it because of the Caramel Crème Frappuccino used. The estimated caffeine amount in a grande size Butterbeer Frappuccino is 85mg.
So, what does Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino taste like?
The beverage is sweet and creamy. It almost tastes like butterscotch but with a more dominant caramel flavour.
Ways to customize Butterbeer Frappuccino at Starbucks – Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino variations.
The customizations are the secret behind the Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino secret recipe. You can adjust the number of pumps of the syrups. You can choose whether or not you’d like your cup lined with the caramel drizzle.
How to make Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino at home – Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino Copycat Recipe
- 4 tablespoons of caramel syrup
- ½ cup of vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons of toffee nut syrup
- ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum (optional)
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of milk (your preferred milk)
- 1 shot of espresso (optional)
- Whipped cream
- In a blender, add ice cubes, 2 tablespoons of caramel syrup, 1 tablespoon of toffee nut syrup, espresso (optional), xanthan gum (optional), ice cream, vanilla extract and milk.
- Blend until you have a smooth, thick consistency.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of caramel syrup inside your cup and pour the blended contents into the cup.
- Garnish with whipped cream and drizzle the rest of the caramel and toffee nut syrup on top. Enjoy.
- Serves one.
- Using the sugar-free caramel and toffee nut syrup is fine.
- Butterscotch syrup can be used instead of toffee nut syrup.
- Although optional, the xanthan gum is crucial for a better taste and richness of the Frappuccino. You can use 1 tablespoon of instant vanilla pudding mix instead of the xanthan gum.
- Scale the amounts listed above to fit the number of servings you want.
How do you order Butterbeer Frappuccino from the Starbucks app?
Open the app and under the menu section, tap on the Frappuccino Blended Beverages.
Scroll down to the Crème Frappuccino, choose the Caramel Crème Frappuccino and select your beverage size.
Under the customizations, choose your favourite milk. If you’d like, add espresso to your Frappuccino.
Under Flavours, add caramel, toffee nut and cinnamon dolce syrups. Under the toppings section, add caramel drizzle and whipped cream only. Place your order.
Does Starbucks have Butterbeer Frappuccino all year round?
The Butterbeer Frappuccino at Starbucks is available throughout the year.
Is the Starbucks Butterbeer Frappuccino healthy?
This is not the healthiest drink you can get from Starbucks. The sugar content is high from the syrups and whipped cream so it is advisable to have it occasionally.
Does Starbucks Butterbeer have alcohol in it?
The Starbucks Butterbeer doesn’t contain any alcohol content.
Does Starbucks Butterbeer taste like butterscotch?
The Starbucks Butterbeer is close to butterscotch in terms of taste but not the same.