The Starbucks Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato is a perfect blend of autumn flavors. The brown sugar melts harmoniously with the caramelized apple drizzle. Don’t wait till fall to indulge in this scrumptious cold brew.
Starbucks always starts its seasons early. Ending my last summer by snuggling up with an apple crisp macchiato on a daily basis was exactly what I needed to say goodbye to a season of good times and tan lines. I was a bit hesitant before I had my first sip, but it surpassed my expectations entirely. The apple flavor is not as dominant as one would expect from the name. The apple flavor is more of an aftertaste. The espresso flavor, however, is dominant all through, hitting the mark for all the coffee lovers out there.
Unfortunately, the Starbucks Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato is only available on the fall menu. After falling in love with the drink, I did some research on replicating it in my home. This article will give you the simple instructions that I used to make the scrumptious beverage in the comfort of my kitchen.
Brief History of the drink
The apple macchiato was introduced into the market in the fall of 2021. Starbucks introduced the drink to bring back the nostalgic sensation of the classic pie as well as break the monotony of the pumpkin spice latte that is popular during this time of the year. The drink also serves as an alternative option for customers looking to indulge in a more balanced rather than sweet coffee.
Starbucks Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato Overview
What’s in a Starbucks Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato – (Ingredients)
The apple pie is the inspiration for this recipe. Making this recipe will require fresh apple slices, apple juice as well as apple flavoring from your local grocery store. With the addition of brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla, the drink is the perfect illustration of an apple pie in a cup. The iced macchiato also boasts the perfect dose of espresso shots which infuse a bitter-chocolate accent to the drink and perfect pick-me-up drink for an autumn day.
Starbucks Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato: Sizes, nutrition, Caffeine & Calories
What sizes are available
Starbucks is known for its special customization that allows a customer to alter the drink to match their needs perfectly. The iced apple crisp macchiato is available in a short (8 fl oz), tall (12 fl oz), grande (16 fl oz), or venti (20 fl oz) cup. I personally order the Grande when working from my local Starbucks store and this will keep me going for 2 – 3 hours. However, if you are ordering on the go, a short or tall cup will suit you perfectly.
The Starbucks menu gives one the option of indulging in whatever one’s diet requires. Some drinks speak purely to enjoyment with high sugar content and extra fat from additions such as whipped cream, whereas others have no caffeine and fat content at all. With this in mind, it is very important to know what is in your drink and therefore what goes into your body. The Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato is one of the moderately healthier options on the menu. Some nutritional facts are listed below:
|Calorie count (out of 2,000 calories daily intake)||280|
|Nutrient Content (per Grande serving)||% of Daily Value|
|Total Fat (5g)
Trans Fat (0g)
Saturated Fat (5g)
|Total carbohydrates (49g)
Dietary Fiber (0g)
The Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato is not as sweet and caffeinated as the other fall menu items. This is because the sugar in the drink is more balanced. A grande only has 150mg of caffeine, which is much lower than the popular pumpkin spice latte. This also allows drinkers to stay within the recommended daily dose of caffeine, at 400g. Starbucks also allows one to order extra espresso shots for a higher dose of caffeine in the event that the 150mg is not enough.
So what does Starbucks’ Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato taste like?
Just like other coffee variations, the macchiato drink is also a mix of espresso and steamed milk. The macchiato, however, usually boasts a more dominant coffee-like taste in comparison to the popular latte, which has added foam. The addition of apple to the bitter-like taste of coffee is a new bar set by Starbucks that will surely shock new drinkers. The flavors harmonize perfectly. Starbucks now includes this drink on its fall menu (both as a hot or iced drink). This breaks the monotony of the pumpkin drinks that Starbucks is so famous for during autumn.
The best part about the iced macchiato is that it is very easy to make at home and has the perfect balance of flavors. The drink is a mix of brown sugar syrup, spiced apple drizzle, milk, espresso, and ice. I found the perfect recipe that will take you back to your local Starbucks counter, enjoying your drinks’ first sip with the smell of freshly ground coffee beans lurking in the background.
Ways to Customize an Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato at Starbucks
Every barista knows that there is more than one way to get the perfect coffee. Although the drink is usually made with 2% dairy milk, a customer can switch this to other types such as oat, coconut, or almond milk. One can also ask for additional complementing flavors such as a pump of cinnamon dolce syrup or a dark caramel sauce. One can also make a hot macchiato with hot water rather than ice. This would work great for a chilly morning.
Despite the amazing reviews, one can also change up this recipe to make it their own. A simple way to do this is to add some whipped cream, ice cream, and apples to the top of the drink. This can then be served as a cold dessert drink with a gourmet meal, which is a great way to spice up your meals when you have company over.
How to make Starbucks Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato at home - Starbucks Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato Copycat Recipe
- Medium-sized saucepan.
- Cup to mix in all your ingredients. This should be presentable and can be topped up with matching straw.
- French press or Espresso machine to freshly brew your espresso shots.
- Strainer to sift out any residue after making the sauces.
Apple crisp drizzle
- 2 cups of fresh apple juice
- 2 tablespoons of dark or light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon
Apple Crisp Syrup
- 1 apple cut into thin slices
- 1/3 cup of light or dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup of fresh apple juice
- ½ teaspoon of apple flavoring (optional)
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- ¾ cup of still water
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
Starbucks Iced apple crisp macchiato
- 2 Tablespoons of Apple crisp syrup
- ¾ cup of milk
- 2 espresso shots
- 2 tablespoons of apple crisp drizzle
- Making the brown sugar apple syrupPlace the brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, apple juice, and water in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the freshly cut apple slices to the saucepan.Allow the ingredients to boil over medium-low heat. Let the mixture simmer for about 15 minutes.Remove from heat and add the apple flavoring.Allow the syrup to cool down and then strain.
- Making the apple drizzle sauceAdd the apple juice, cinnamon, and brown sugar to a medium-sized saucepan to make a combination of apple and brown sugar syrup.Allow the mixture to boil and immediately reduce the heat and allow it to simmer once the ingredients are ¾ reduced. Take care to not allow this mixture to burn.
- Making Apple Crisp MacchiatoAdd the baseline mixture of apple syrup to the cup you will be serving.Top the cup with ice and milk, leaving enough allowance for the espresso shots.Brew 2 shots of espresso. Starbucks uses dark espresso for their macchiato drinks, but this goes with what you prefer to drink.Add the freshly brewed espresso to the cup and lightly drizzle the mixture with the apple drizzle sauce. The hot coffee will melt some of the ice, fusing the whole drink together. The apple drizzle sauce will add more sweetness to the drink.Enjoy the delicious drink!
- If you want to make this easier, purchase Monin brown sugar syrup and apple syrup from your local grocery store. You can also use these syrup options for other star-studded Starbucks drinks.
- A Grande has the equivalent of 3 espresso shots at Starbucks, but feel free to play around with this to suit your taste buds.
- It is recommended to use filtered ice cubes to ensure there is no chlorine, dirt, or unwanted minerals in your drink.
- If the apple sauce has reduced too much, simply add some apple juice to the mixture and allow it to simmer. Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool down again before using it.
- If needed, add sugar syrup to the drink. Do not use sugar as this will not dissolve in iced macchiato
Can I order the iced apple macchiato from any Starbucks store?
Yes, the macchiato is available at any Starbucks store near you. However, it is important to note that the Starbucks iced apple crisp macchiato is only available on the fall menu.
Do they have other variations of the iced apple macchiato?
Yes, the Starbucks iced apple crisp macchiato is also available as a hot drink and perfect for a chilly morning.
Are there other apple-flavored drinks?
This is the only apple-flavored drink on the fall menu and is paired great with their pumpkin cheese cream muffin that is also available at the same time in the year.
Is iced apple crisp macchiato healthy?
The drink has a lot of sugar and is therefore not considered as healthy.
Is the iced apple crisp macchiato sweet?
In comparison to the other drinks on the fall menu, the Iced Apple Macchiato is the more balanced option and best for customers who are not fond of sweet drinks.
Kai Jordan worked as a Certified Nutrition Specialist and now a food critic whose main objective is to provide consumers with as much information as they need to make the right choices concerning foods and drinks. Jordan is passionate about helping the public reach their health-related goals but also keen on reviewing foods and drinks offered by some of the famous restaurants the likes of Starbucks.
Kai has therefore created well-researched and comprehensive excerpts regarding the services and products offered by the giant restaurant chain. And which can be retrieved from Starbmag.com, apart from talking writing, and dealing with food Kai loves also to Kayak. You can read more about me on the about us page.