Did you just have your first sip of Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte and you are wondering how does Starbucks make the pumpkin spice latte? Well, read on to find out how.
Two Weeks’ Notice novel by Whitney G introduced me to pumpkin spice latte. The main character, Lauren changed her boss’s drink from caramel latte to pumpkin spice latte and from his first taste, he was hooked. I ordered my first PSL after finishing the book. This is a really loved beverage, especially in the autumn season and I wanted to know all the hype around it.
How does Starbucks make pumpkin spice latte?
On the Starbucks website, they have included a simple, easy to follow instructions on how to make the Starbucks’ pumpkin spice latte. The next time you are longing for a Starbucks’ pumpkin spice latte and it is not yet the fall season, you can follow the below guideline to make your own pumpkin spice latte in the comfort of your home.
A simple guide on how to make a Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1 oz of espresso
- I cup of whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin spices
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- Mix the 1 oz of espresso, pumpkin spice syrup, pumpkin spices in a large cup. Stir for about a minute till the mixture is even and smooth.
- Heat the milk-but not boil-then froth using a milk frother or any frothing equipment you may have. In case you aren’t a fan of froth, skip the frothing. Pour your frothed milk into the coffee mixture till ¾ full
- Serve immediately. Garnish your pumpkin spice latte with whipped cream and a pinch of pumpkin species as desired.
What syrup does Starbucks use for pumpkin spice latte?
Starbucks uses pumpkin spice syrup to make the pumpkin spice latte. The pumpkin spice syrup that gives PSL its distinctiveness is a mixture of pumpkin puree, sugar, cinnamon sticks, water, clove, ginger and nutmeg. When Starbucks introduced the pumpkin spice latte in the fall of 2003, the company mainly used pumpkin artificial flavors to make the syrup. As complaints continued to suffice, in 2015 they started using real pumpkin puree to make the syrup.
What does Starbucks put in their pumpkin spice latte?
Apart from the pumpkin spiced syrup, Starbucks puts the below ingredients in their pumpkin spice latte.
There is no latte without milk. Starbucks is synonymous with using 2% milk for most of its beverages to give you a rich, smooth, creamy flavor. Milk takes the largest percentage of the six ingredients and it is a good source of your daily calcium.
Starbucks Brewed Espresso
This is where your caffeine needs are met. That kick of energy you are constantly seeking. A tall PSL will give you a dose of roughly 75miligrams of caffeine.
Most people opt to not use the whipped cream-and for a good reason because it is about 60 calories- but if you want the full experience of a pumpkin spice latte, I say go for it.
Pumpkin Spice Topping
This is a blended mixture of cloves, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
How many pumps are in a Starbucks spice latte?
The precise number of pumps in a Starbucks spice latte largely depend on the size of your PSL, the barista making your beverage and your personal preference. For example, a venti pumpkin spice latte contains roughly 5 pumps. One can always request for either an extra or less pump of syrup.
Little twists you can use to make the Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte meet your specific needs
The standard Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte can’t be consumed by everyone. Different people have different needs. Myself, I use one pump of their signature pumpkin spice syrup because I find three pumps to be too sweet for my palette. Below are some of the variations you can make to your PSL
- In case you are lactose intolerant or vegan, you can substitute whole milk with coconut milk or almond milk or soy milk, or oat milk.
- Add vanilla syrup or maple syrup to your pumpkin spice latte if you desire that extra shot of sweetness.
- If you are keeping yourself healthy and limiting your sugar intake; use a natural sweetener like Stevia to tone down the calories.
- You can also substitute the sugar-filled syrup with pure cinnamon.
Does the pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks have coffee in it?
Yes, it does. A tall PSL will give you a dose of roughly 75miligrams of caffeine.
How can I make my PSL sweeter?
By adding a dash of maple or vanilla syrup or both.
How many pumps of syrup are in a venti pumpkin spice latte?
Normally, 5 pumps of syrup.
What does PSL season mean?
It is during the fall season, autumn when Starbucks pumpkin spice latte returns to their menu. It starts in late August and ends in late November