On the Starbucks hot breakfast menu, egg bites are among the most popular item. So, how are Starbucks egg bites made?
Starbucks serves three flavours of egg bites and depending on the flavour, the ingredients slightly vary. However, the common ingredients among all the flavours offered are; cottage cheese, unsalted butter, eggs, salt, rice starch, cheese blend and corn starch. I love the Starbucks egg bites and whenever I’m at the store for my morning cup of coffee, I must get one or two egg bites.
After weeks of consistently eating egg bites, I decided to research their contents. Additionally, I researched how I can prepare them at home to save money and reduce the trips made to the coffeehouse for egg bites. In this article, I have shared everything I discovered so keep reading to find out.
Table of Contents
What is in a Starbucks egg bite?
Starbucks has three flavours of egg bites – Kale and Mushroom egg bites, Bacon and Gruyere egg bites and Egg white and Roasted Red Pepper egg bites – with slightly varying ingredients.
The Starbucks Kale and Mushroom egg bites are made with cottage cheese, eggs, Monterey Jack cheese, portabella mushrooms, Swiss cheese, rice starch, kale, unsalted butter, parsley, garlic, hot sauce, salt, white distilled vinegar, black pepper and bioengineered food ingredients.
The Starbucks Bacon and Gruyere egg bites are made with cottage cheese, unsalted butter, cheese blend, eggs, uncured bacon, rice starch, salt, corn starch, white distilled vinegar and hot sauce.
The Starbucks Egg white and Roasted Red Pepper egg bites are made with egg whites, Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, red bell pepper, unsalted butter, spinach, canola oil, rice starch, feta cheese, hot sauce, green onion, salt, spices and bioengineered food ingredients.
How can I make Starbucks egg bites at home (recipe and directions?)
To prepare the Starbucks egg bites at home you’ll need the following equipment;
- An oven – to bake the egg bites.
- A large skillet – to sauté your veggies.
- A muffin tin – to place your egg bites in while they bake and help you properly portion the egg bites.
- A blender – to mix the base ingredients.
To make the Starbucks egg bite at home you’ll need the following ingredients;
- ½ medium red bell pepper (seeded and diced).
- 8 large eggs.
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- ½ cup of plain Greek yoghurt, ricotta or cottage cheese.
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- 1 teaspoon of mustard powder.
- ½ cup of diced ham.
- 2 cups of chopped fresh baby spinach (optional).
- 1 ¼ teaspoon of coarse salt.
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- ¼ cup of shredded white cheddar or Gruyere.
- Begin by preheating the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit, which is normally a lower temperature than what is required to bake normal egg muffins. This temperature is ideal to make your egg bites soft and tender and evenly cooked. Since most people don’t have sous vide machine at home for sous vide-ing like Starbucks does, baking the egg bites in an oven is the next best option.
- After preheating your oven, prepare a water bath by filling ¾ of a baking dish with water and then place the water bath in the oven’s bottom rack. The water bath is crucial in giving the egg bites the sous vide-style finish as they bake, by adding moisture to the oven.
- Then, prepare a 12-cup muffin tin by coating it with cooking spray or brushing the wells with melted butter or oil.
- Proceed to sauté the veggies as the oven preheats by heating the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and placing all the veggies in the oil. Sauté the vegetables until they are soft, slightly caramelized and the greens have wilted. Letting your veggies caramelize will improve the flavour of your egg bites.
- Next, blend the base ingredients. Blending the base ingredients – eggs, cheese and other dairy ingredients, spices and herbs – incorporates air into the mixture and provides a nice texture, which will make the egg bites light and fluffy. The onion, garlic and mustard powder add rich flavours to these bites.
- Then, pour the blended egg mixture into the prepared muffin tin, filling each well to about ¾ full, leaving room for veggies, ham and cheese.
- To add the rest of the ingredients into the muffin wells, scoop a bit of the sautéed veggies and place it over the egg mixture, followed by ham and topped with shredded cheese.
- Place the pan into the oven and let the egg bites bake for 20 minutes to 30 minutes making sure they are not wet or jiggly, but perfectly set with a slight browning around the edges.
- When the egg bites are ready, take them out, let them cool and with the help of a knife, gently release the egg bites from around the edges and enjoy!
- Discard the water bath.
What do Starbucks egg bites taste like?
Starbucks egg bites are delicious, egg-y, flavourful, creamy and rich with a velvety texture and cheese flavours. Some Starbucks customers have found the egg bites to taste like cheese bites due to the significant amounts of cheese used.
Where does Starbucks get their egg bites from?
Starbucks partnered with Cuisine Solutions to supply them with egg bites.
Is the Starbucks egg bites gluten-free?
All Starbucks egg bites are gluten-free. However, Starbucks does not guarantee this, due to the possibility of cross-contamination in the store, during preparation and serving.
How unhealthy is a Starbucks egg bite?
One egg bite (130g) has a whopping 170 calories with 25mg of cholesterol, 8g of fat and 0g of dietary fibre.
Are there real eggs in Starbucks egg bites?
Yes. The Starbucks egg bites are made with real eggs.
Are Starbucks egg bites vegan?
No. Starbucks egg bites aren’t vegan as they are prepared with cheese and eggs and other animal-derived ingredients.
Are Starbucks egg bites keto?
Yes. Starbucks egg bites are keto-approved as they have high protein levels and high-fat levels per serving, with low carbs and sugar levels.
Kai Jordan worked as a Certified Nutrition Specialist and now a food critic whose main objective is to provide consumers with as much information as they need to make the right choices concerning foods and drinks. Jordan is passionate about helping the public reach their health-related goals but also keen on reviewing foods and drinks offered by some of the famous restaurants the likes of Starbucks.
Kai has therefore created well-researched and comprehensive excerpts regarding the services and products offered by the giant restaurant chain. And which can be retrieved from Starbmag.com, apart from talking writing, and dealing with food Kai loves also to Kayak. You can read more about me on the about us page.