I have always had a keen taste for anything with berry flavor, and for this reason, I am always looking for new drinks, pastries, and snacks rich in that berry taste. As you would expect, the Starbucks Violet Drink is one of my favorites, especially on a hot summer day. When I do not feel up to going to Starbucks to get it myself, I make an order through the Starbucks app. However, when I have friends over, I make a batch and stash it in the fridge. This article breaks down everything you need to know about the Starbucks Violet Drink and includes my go-to recipe for homemade violet (also known as purple) drink.
This drink made its debut in Starbucks back in 2017 when Lady Gaga unveiled her Cups of Kindness collection through her Born This Way Foundation. The drink was a special (almost limited) edition, but it stayed on and is available to order. It, however, is not on the menu, so you have to ask for it if you want to buy it.
The Starbucks Violet Drink Refresher is actually the same as the Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher, but it has coconut milk added as it is made.
Yes, this drink is still available to order in all Starbucks outlets across the United States. As mentioned, however, it is not on the menu, and you have to ask for it.
Apart from outlets in the United States, this drink is not available in any other country.
A Starbucks Violet Drink Refresher is made using the ingredients below;
- Berry Refresher Base – This is the main body of the drink, and this is where it gets most of its flavors and color. It is comprised of water, white grape juice concentrate, green coffee extract, citric acid, and natural flavors. The natural flavors impart the characteristic hibiscus and berry flavors. Note that this drink does not contain berry juice or hibiscus extract.
- Coconut milk – The coconut milk used to constitute this drink is made from coconut cream, water, coconut water, cane sugar, sea salt, and natural flavors. It is also fortified with vitamin A, and also has such additives as corn dextrin, xanthan gum, gellan gum, and Vitamin D2.
- Freeze-dried blackberries – These are used to garnish the drink, and they are tossed in whole when it is served in the Starbucks cup. They are great to nibble on when you finish the drink.
- Flavor builders – The drink, apart from flavors, is also sweetened with the Starbucks classic syrup.
- What sizes are available?
Being that the Violet Drink Refresher is made to order at Starbucks, it is served in cups. There are 4 main cup sizes that you can order. The smallest cup size available is the Tall Cup which comes with a capacity of 12 fl oz, and it is followed by a Grande which holds 16 fl oz of the Violet Drink Refresher.
The third-largest cup size is the Venti which has a capacity of 24 fl oz, and the largest of them is the Trenta which has a maximum capacity of 30 fl oz. The larger cups are ideal for when you want to ask for extra ice.
- Nutritional facts
Even though it is not the healthiest of drinks available on the Starbucks menu, this drink is ideal for anyone looking to lose weight or keep track of their food and drink consumption. It is made primarily of juice concentrates, water, and coconut milk, which makes it a clean drink for the most part.
When it comes to caloric count, this drink comes with a measly 110 calories when you order a grande cup. This is why it is great for weight loss and for people looking to reduce calorie intake.
Here is a tabulated representation of the drink’s nutritional facts.
- Caffeine Information
Seeing as this drink contains green coffee extract, it comes with a decent level of caffeine. In a grande cup, you get 45mg. While this does not meet the daily caffeine threshold for an adult, it is quite something. You can also customize it to include more caffeine as you make your order.
The Starbucks Violet Drink Refresher is both sweet and tart. It also comes with a nice berry flavor and a good load of creaminess from the coconut milk. The sweetness and tartness have a clean balance so that neither outdoes the other.
When making your Violet Drink Refresher order at Starbucks, you can make some of the following customizations;
- Request a different type of milk
If you do not fancy the taste of coconut in your drink, you can choose any other sort of milk to complete your drink. You can ask for almond, soy, or oat milk, or you can ask for different variations of regular milk such as non-fat, 2% milk, or whole milk.
- Include flavored syrup
Seeing as there is a wide assortment of syrups available at Starbucks, you can ask for a pump or two of any one of them to enhance the flavor of your drink. You can ask for caramel, vanilla, hazelnut, or raspberry flavor when making your order.
- Have flavored tea to go with it
If you do not fancy the green coffee extract, you can customize your drink with tea. Ask your barista for a splash of green, black, or passion tango tea to increase the fruity flavor of your drink.
How to make Violet Drink Refresher at home - Violet Drink Refresher Copycat Recipe
- A blender
- A pitcher
- A clean cup
- An electric kettle
- Drinking glasses
- Drinking straw
- Hibiscus tea bags
- Berry juice
- Coconut milk
- Freeze-dried blackberries
- Sweetener (sugar or syrup)
- Brew the hibiscus teaIn the electric kettle, heat some water and bring it to a boil. Put the hot water into a clean cup. Place one or two teabags of the hibiscus tea into the hot water and allow it to steep for about two minutes. After two minutes, remove the tea bags and place the hibiscus tea in the fridge to cool.
- Constitute the juice baseAs the tea is cooling, take a lean jug and pour in the berry juice and coconut milk. Stir them well until well incorporated. Add your sweetener of choice and proceed to stir.
- Add the tea to the juice baseWhen your tea has cooled, add it to the juice base and stir to make sure it mixes well.
- ServeTake your clean drinking glasses and add as many ice cubes as you would like. Proceed to pour the constituted juice in. Garnish the drink with the freeze-dried blackberries and enjoy.
- You can use any other type of tea you prefer. Try something fruity like passion tea to create a different flavor.
- Instead of berry juice, you can use fresh blackberries to make your beverage at home. The flavor may not be as intense, though.
- You can replace the coconut milk with any other nut milk to make your refresher. This may introduce a new flavor profile altogether.
How do I order a violet drink refresher at Starbucks?
Simply ask the barista for a violet drink refresher and remember to state your cup size as well as other customizations.
Is violet drink discontinued?
No, the drink is still available but it is not on the menu. You will have to ask the barista for it.
Will the violet drink come back?
The drink is still in production, but it is not on the menu.
Can I drink three violet drinks when pregnant?
Since the drink contains caffeine, it would not be safe to drink three while pregnant.
Is the Violet Drink Refresher good?
Yes, it is. This drink is very tasty, low in calories, and great for general body health.
How much is the Violet Drink Refresher?
A grande cup of this drink goes for $4.35 and $4.85 for a venti.
This berry and hibiscus infusion is pretty great, and its excellent taste makes it an easy favorite for everyone. If you want to make a large batch to keep at home, feel free to use my recipe which works exceedingly well.
Kai Jordan worked as a Certified Nutrition Specialist and now a food critic whose main objective is to provide consumers with as much information as they need to make the right choices concerning foods and drinks. Jordan is passionate about helping the public reach their health-related goals but also keen on reviewing foods and drinks offered by some of the famous restaurants the likes of Starbucks.
Kai has therefore created well-researched and comprehensive excerpts regarding the services and products offered by the giant restaurant chain. And which can be retrieved from Starbmag.com, apart from talking writing, and dealing with food Kai loves also to Kayak. You can read more about me on the about us page.