When the holidays are around the corner, many eggnog lovers like myself can’t help but get restless as our favorite treat is around the corner, the Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino!
Growing up, my family was never big on holidays as they were professors who didn’t seem to appreciate anything other than books. Being the only child with no siblings to play with and no attention from them as they were always busy, I always visited my grandparents during holidays as they were much more fun and adventurous. My grandmother always prepared eggnog lattes and Frappuccinos for me whenever I visited.
When I grew up, and she later passed away, I always waited for the holidays to purchase one at Starbucks. However, the rate at which I craved this drink led me to find a copycat recipe to make mine at home; you won’t even know the difference. However, before I share my copycat recipe with you, a brief history of the origin of this drink would be great.
A brief history of the drink
As the curious cat, I am, I felt compelled to find out the origin of my grandmother’s all-time favorite drink. Hence, I dug deep into research and discovered a few things. Eggnog was discovered in 1986 by Dave Olsen. He had designed the drink containing ground nutmeg, espresso, milk, and eggnog as a holiday special drink for a small coffee chain in Seattle owned by Howard. When Howard bought Starbucks one year later, he renamed his brand but kept the eggnog on his menu. Since then, the drink has continued to grow and evolve as it is now available in on-dairy form due to its many alterations.
Is Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino still available at Starbucks?
Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino is a chilly drink available seasonally on the Starbucks menu. It is a holiday drink, hence available during the Christmas holidays. Starbucks had dropped this drink to streamline its menu, but its funds were unhappy.
Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino fans had hoped that it would return this year. However, they were frustrated when the holiday menu did not have it. Starbucks broke the news on November 3rd, 2021, that the drink will no longer return to the Starbucks holiday menu. It has now not been available for 2 years in a row. However, there is no need to worry as it is still on the secret menu.
Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino (Ingredients, taste variations, sizes, caffeine, calories)
What is in a Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino (ingredients)
Now that you are well conversant with the origin of this drink, I know you are probably wondering what makes it so sweet and special. Well, let’s get right into it!
According to their official site, Starbucks says that the ingredients used to make it are coffee frappuccino syrup ( salt, water, natural flavors, xanthan gum, citric acid, potassium sorbate, milk, ice, eggnog (type varies by region information available at your local Starbucks store), nutmeg and whipped cream (vanilla syrup ( xanthan gum, natural flavors, sugar, water, citric acid, potassium sorbate, cream (carrageenan, diglycerides, and monoglycerides).
Luckily, you only need 5 basic ingredients to make your own Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino at home. Let’s talk about each of these ingredients.
- Espresso- Being a coffee-based drink, espresso comes in handy. The espresso balances the taste of this drink with its bittersweet taste. The drink is hence not too sweet.
- Eggnog- This is the main ingredient in this drink. The eggnog makes the drink thick and creamy, giving it a delightful taste.
- Ice cubes- it’s not a frappe if it is not cold or chilled now, right? You can have regular ice cubes or coffee ice cubes for your frappuccino.
- Nutmeg- This acts as a topping for the drink. It gives that nostalgic flavor leaving you reminiscing about fall.
- Whipped cream- is also a topping. Makes the drink thick and sweet and gives it that velvety texture
- Vanilla extract- vanilla extract adds flavor to your drink and increases the thick consistency of the drink. I opted to use vanilla syrup for a stronger taste and to avoid adding additional sugar to the drink.
Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino (size, nutrition, caffeine& calories)
What sizes are available?
When it comes to sizes, Starbucks has got you covered. They always have different sizes meeting both your desired effect and pocket friendly. The Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino they have it available in three sizes. They have the tall cup (12 ounces of fluid), the Grande cup (16 ounces of fluid), and the largest size, which contains 24 ounces of fluid, known as the venti cup. Though I am a fan of this drink, I often take the Grande as its portion is just enough and ranges within my financial reach.
When it comes to the caffeine content, this drink has just enough caffeine to give you the much-needed morning kick or to present that hectic project you have. A Grande cup, 16 ounces of fluid, has only 100mg of caffeine. This is healthy as it does not exceed the set limit of 400mg of caffeine daily.
Not once will you find nutritionists and dieticians often criticizing Starbucks drinks and tagging them as unhealthy. Whether in articles, on live TV, or even in their consultation rooms, they are often against them. However much we may always feel the urge to brush off their advice, this drink falls under the category of not-so-healthy Starbucks drinks. With 400 calories, 18 grams of fat (11 grams saturated, 0.5 trans-fat), 90 milligrams of cholesterol, 290 mg of sodium, 52 mg carbohydrates (0 dietary fiber, 51 g sugar), and 7 grams of protein.
However much we love this drink, treating it as a daily indulgence may also be a health hazard. It is safer to take it as a once-in-a-while treat. However, it is possible to reduce this calorie by skipping whipped cream, opting for plant-based milk options, and reducing the syrup pumps. This drink may contain allergens from milk, eggs, and caffeine. If you are vegan, it would be wise to say so to the barista making your drink to avoid cross-contamination.
So what does a Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino taste like?
A Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino has a sweet, creamy taste. It is creamier than any other frappuccino due to the thickness brought by eggnog. In every sip, you feel the sweet, creamy, and velvety texture, with a bittersweet taste from the espresso. This drink will have you reminiscing about fall, with every sip putting a warm smile on your face. It truly awakens the spirit of holidays and Christmas!
Ways to customize a Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino- Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino variations
The best thing about Starbucks is that they let you judge your drink’s taste. They give you the option to customize it in any way you wish. For this drink, you can play around with the milk options and switch to non-fat or plant-based milk, like soy, coconut, almond, and buttermilk, for a healthier option.
Also, you can request additional toppings, like cookie bits, sugar bits, sprinkles, different powders like nutmeg, matcha powder, and any other of your choice. The drizzle sauces are also available; you can add caramel drizzle, mocha drizzle sauce, hot chocolate fudge sauce, and many others. Your drink can never get boring at Starbucks!
How to make Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino at home – Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino copycat recipe
Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino copycat recipe
- Coffee maker machine
- Measuring cups
- Cups to serve
- Ice trays
- Vanilla extract -syrup
- Ice cubes
- Whipped cream
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Caramel sauce ( optional)
- Start by brewing your espresso using your Keurig coffee machine or any other you have.
- Chill your brewed coffee, or wait until it cools
- Put your espresso, vanilla extract, eggnog, and ice cubes in your blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Put your blended concoction in a serving glass.
- Top with whipped cream
- Sprinkle a pinch of nutmeg on top
- Drizzle your caramel sauce on top Enjoy!
- Instead of regular ice cubes, I prefer to freeze coffee and use those ice cubes to prevent watering down the drink and for more coffee.
- A Keurig coffee machine comes in handy in this recipe; however, a Moka pot would be just as effective if you don’t have one.
- I prefer to add vanilla extract to my drink for a more potent taste and thicker consistency; however, it is optional.
- Being the sweet tooth that I am, I drizzle caramel sauce on top of my drink to make it sweeter; it is, however, optional, and you can skip it or swap it for anything that suits your fancy.
- To reduce the calories, you can make whipped cream from scratch. This way, you will control the amount of sugar it has. I prefer to use the store-bought one.
- If you are vegan or lactose intolerant, you can choose plant-based milk like coconut, almond, butter, and soy. Additionally, you can buy nog from your local stores without the egg. This will, however, alter the taste of the entire drink.
- I prefer to use the eggnog from the hood as it has that yellow hue; however, any other would work just the same.
- You can opt to skip the whipped cream for a healthier option.
- Before blending the ingredients, make sure you wait until your brewed coffee cools off.
How do you order a Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino?
Ask the barista for a drink with espresso, eggnog, and vanilla sugar topped with whipped cream and a pinch of nutmeg. The barista will make it for you.
Is Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino good?
Yes, it is creamier than most Frappuccinos and has a unique exquisite taste.
How much is a Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino?
Starbucks eggnog crème frappuccino, tall size, containing 12 ounces of fluid, costs 3.95 dollars.