Ask any coffee drinker what coffee paradise is like, and they could mention the Starbucks Reserve Roasteries. With the largest of them all being in the Midwest, this article was curated to give more information about the Starbucks Reserve in Chicago.
Being a native New Yorker, I have had the privilege of visiting our Starbucks Reserve Roastery on many a few dates. It’s an epic experience! So, when I heard that the largest roastery was put up in Chicago, Illinois, I had to visit. For first-time goers, the massive Starbucks roastery can be intimidating, but I’ve prepared the perfect guide to help you in your explorations.
Starbucks Reserve in Chicago?
Any coffee lover who might be visiting the Windy City any time soon should know if you’ll be able to visit this unique coffeehouse. Don’t fret. You’ll find out below.
Table of Contents
When Did Starbucks Open a Reserve in Chicago?
Starbucks opened a Starbucks Reserve in Chicago on 15th November 2019 along Magnificent Mile. It was the sixth Starbucks Reserve Roastery to be opened after the Seattle, Shanghai, Milan, New York, and Tokyo locations. Currently, there are seven, with Mumbai’s being the latest. Starbucks started its coffee-making journey way back in 1971. It has since established over 33,000 stores around the world. But you may wonder what the difference is between the regular Starbucks stores and the Starbucks Reserves Roasteries. Well, let me tell you.
The Roasteries are simply Starbucks retail stores but elevated in experience to pay tribute to the company’s brand and heritage as well as to coffee. They still sell food and drinks, but all customers have the opportunity to learn more about coffee’s processing journey till it gets to their Starbucks cups. Roasteries offer rare premier coffees and special merchandise (e.g., mugs) that are locally crafted and branded. Starbucks dedicates the roasteries to offering a high-end artistic experience to coffee culture. Additionally, they offer gourmet food and cocktails, unlike the usual egg and cheese sandwiches you can get at a regular Starbucks. Roasteries also place a lot of emphasis on bold architectural designs and art pieces.
Is There a Starbucks Reserve in Chicago?
Yes! Chicago is one of the few cities worldwide with this rare artisan coffee shop. Other locations are spread out in Asia and Europe, but here in America, only my home state New York, Washington, and Illinois, have Starbucks Reserve locations. Here’s a bit of useful information about the Chicago Starbucks Roastery:
|646 N Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611
|Opening & Closing Hours
|Monday – 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Tuesday – 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Wednesday – 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Thursday – 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Friday – 8:00 AM to 9:30 PM
Saturday – 8:00 AM to 9:30 PM
Sunday – 8:00 AM to 9:30 PM
Starbucks Reserve in Chicago Design
As mentioned earlier, Starbucks Roasteries invest in their beautiful spaces, little pieces of architectural heaven on earth. I cannot emphasize how gorgeous these buildings are. Starbucks incorporates stunning murals and art pieces from local Chicago artists all over the Chicago roastery. This roastery is a fusion of coffee and the Chicago culture. A fun fact is that Chicago’s roastery is the largest of the seven reserve roasteries. It is a majestic 35,000-square-feet, five-story building in the upscale Magnificent Mile, which was once a Crate & Barrel that got remodeled to house the roastery. The roastery has a different dining experience to offer on each floor. Allow me to take you through them.
- First Floor – Upon entering the first floor, customers will be greeted with the aroma of roasted and brewed coffee, signaling that this is the floor dedicated to coffee roasting. Coffee in the roastery is locally sourced from Chicago and roasted in-house within a beautiful 56-foot steel cask. You can watch the coffee getting roasted, by the way. How cool! On this floor, you can get the chance to order coffee, pastries, and other to-go treats. You can also get exclusive merchandise and souvenirs.
- Second Floor – Besides coffee, this floor also has the ultra-chic Rocco Princi, a Milanese bakery specializing in authentic Italian pastries like cannolis, panettones, croissants, and cheesecakes. A coffee’s best friend is a pastry, so it only makes sense that Starbucks incorporates a bakery in the roastery. It’s a little slice of Italy in the middle of Chicago. There is a café on this floor, so you can conveniently get coffee and fresh pastries in one spot.
- Third Floor – On this floor, Starbucks pays homage to the science and art of coffee. You will be able to learn more about special coffee brewing techniques and methods, sample rare coffee, and experience uniquely flavored coffee brews. It’s called the ‘Experimental Coffee Bar,’ I find it befitting as the section feels like a lab you’ve taken a school trip to where all types of science experiments happen. Only coffee beans are the reagents, and these talented baristas are the scientists. I think it would be great for kids.
- Fourth floor – the roastery’s cocktail bar is located on this floor. It is known as Arriviamo Cocktail Bar, and it has award-winning mixologists that come up with delicious drinks unique to the Chicago Reserve Roastery. The coolest thing about these drinks is that in addition to the classic cocktails, they also have innovative coffee and tea-infused ones! Using Starbucks products, of course. It is a classy bar that’s perfect for an after-work drink. The floor also has the Barrel-Aged Coffee Bar.
- Fifth Floor – Finally, on the fifth floor, you will find the roof terrace. Here, you can enjoy scenic views of Michigan Avenue and Chicago. You can enjoy your delicacies here during the warmer seasons; otherwise, it’s closed off. This floor is known as a “secret” since you can’t access it via the escalator. Only a stairwell can get you there.
Where Do You Park for Starbucks Reserves in Chicago?
We know Chicago city is quite busy, and finding parking spots can be tricky, but luckily the Chicago Starbucks Reserve Roastery factored this in. They have discounted parking available for customers at InterPark: 50 East Ohio St. You can park your vehicle for up to 4 hours for $13 with a validated ticket. The Roastery associate on the first floor does the validating.
Starbucks Reserve Menu and Prices in Chicago
Now that you know the history and layout of the Chicago Starbucks Reserve, you are probably planning to visit and try out their artistically crafted 5-star food and drinks. The menu can be found below to help you budget:
Starbucks Reserve Delivery in Chicago
Doesn’t a cozy night in with some gourmet food from Starbucks Reserve Roastery sound heavenly? Luckily, it is possible to get your favorite food and drink items delivered to you with all the convenience.
What Are the Delivery Options for Starbucks Reserve in Chicago?
You can order from Starbucks Reserve Chicago using UberEATS and Postmates. The menus are available online on their apps/websites (or on my post!) and can be delivered efficiently. But be ready to pay delivery fees. I also noted that prices of food and drinks are slightly higher than those of the physical store.
What Are the Payment Options While Ordering Starbucks Reserve for Delivery in Chicago?
Each food delivery platform has its own set of acceptable payment options. Check them out below:
|Credit/Debit Cards, Apple Pay, Venmo, Gift Cards, Uber Credits (Note: This is a cashless platform)
|Postmates Cash, Credit, and Debit cards (Note: This is another cashless delivery option)
How much did the Starbucks Reserve in Chicago cost?
Get ready to clutch your pearls because the Starbucks Reserve in Chicago took a whopping $10 million to build! It is the biggest Starbucks in the world, after all.
How many floors does the Starbucks Roastery have in Chicago?
The Starbucks Roastery in Chicago has five floors total, including a cocktail bar, a roof terrace, coffee bars, and an Italian bakery. The rooftop terrace floor is, however, closed during cold months.
Is Chicago reserve the biggest Starbucks reserve in the world?
Yes. The Chicago Starbucks Roastery is the largest reserve in the world. It is 35,000 square feet.
How long is the wait for Starbucks Roastery Chicago?
The wait time in the Chicago Starbucks Roastery is anywhere from 30 minutes to 60 minutes as people are let in in waves. You’ll have to practice patience or pick another place to grab a quick bite.
How can I make reservations for the Starbucks Roastery in Chicago?
You can make reservations to the Starbucks Roastery in Chicago via Tock.com, an online reservation system with which Starbucks partnered. With the amount of traffic that this building gets, the most logical thing would be getting reservations. I highly recommend it.
Kai Jordan worked as a Certified Nutrition Specialist and now a food critic whose main objective is to provide consumers with as much information as they need to make the right choices concerning foods and drinks. Jordan is passionate about helping the public reach their health-related goals but also keen on reviewing foods and drinks offered by some of the famous restaurants the likes of Starbucks.
Kai has therefore created well-researched and comprehensive excerpts regarding the services and products offered by the giant restaurant chain. And which can be retrieved from Starbmag.com, apart from talking writing, and dealing with food Kai loves also to Kayak. You can read more about me on the about us page.