If you are a fan of cake pops and the delicate decorations with which they come, you definitely will want to see and try the Blue Cake Pop from Starbucks. It is a visually intriguing and tasty treat. So, what is the Blue Cake Pop at Starbucks?
The Blue Cake Pop, popularly known as the Earth Cake Pop, is a lollipop-shaped cake made from rich chocolate cake which is dipped in blue chocolate icing. It is then decorated in green and white sprinkles, hence the resemblance to the earth.
My daughter has always been a fan of cake pops, so every once in a while, we pop into Starbucks and get her a couple. I have developed a keen taste for them, especially the Earth Cake Pop (Blue Cake Pop), and I will sometimes buy several under the pretext of bringing my daughter treats home. Here is what the Blue Cake Pop is all about, and a recipe you can use to make some at home. Here goes.
As mentioned, the blue cake pop is a lollipop-shaped cake. It is made of rich chocolate cake, and it gets its name from the deep blue chocolatey icing which is meant to mimic the color of the earth’s oceans. For this reason, this cake pop is referred to as the Earth Cake Pop. The green and white sprinkles enhance the resemblance to the earth.
This cake pop combines a chocolate cake and a chocolatey icing that is a favorite for chocolate lovers. This, along with other flavor accents, makes it a delectable treat to have on its own or with a beverage such as an iced coffee or tea, or a Starbucks refresher
A blue cake pop is a small treat, and a single piece only weighs 39 grams. The fact that it is made using wheat, chocolate, sugar, and other ingredients means that it has a significant number of calories.
In a 39 grams piece of the Blue Cake Pop, you get 7 grams of fat of which 4.5 grams are from saturated fats, there is 10mg of cholesterol, 75mg of sodium, and 22 grams of carbohydrates, 17 of which are from sugar. There is also1 gram of fiber and 2 grams of protein.
A single serving of this cake pop packs a decent calorie punch. From the 39 grams, you get a total of 150 calories which is pretty high considering how small the cake pop is.
Below is a tabulated representation of the above information.
|Serving size 39g|
|Calories 150 (Calories from fat 70)|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 4.5g
Trans Fat 0g
|Total Carbohydrates 22g
Dietary fiber 1g
When you take a bite of this cake pop, one of the things that will stand out the most is the rich chocolate tones. This is largely because the actual cake is a rich chocolate cake, and the icing with which it is covered contains chocolate. Additionally, there are notes of vanilla flavor as it is used to flavor the cake as it is prepared.
The cake is also pretty dense, and this is because it is dipped in sugar syrup before being made into a ball, and this makes it a very sweet treat. It is a favorite for people who like all things sugar, chocolate, and vanilla.
How to make the Starbucks blue cake pop at home? (Copycat recipe)
For the cake
- All-purpose flour – half a cup
- Granulated sugar – half cup
- Cocoa powder – 3 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Vegetable oil – quarter cup
- Baking powder – quarter teaspoon
- 1 egg
- Vanilla essence – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Hot water – quarter cup
- Green and blue sprinkles – quarter cup
- Blue candy melts – quarter cup
For the frosting
- Confectioners’ sugar – 6 tablespoons
- Unsalted butter – 3 tablespoons
- Milk – 3 tablespoons
- Cocoa powder – quarter cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
- Take a large bowl and combine all your dry ingredients; flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Use a hand whisk to whisk everything together until it is well combined. Set the mixture aside.
- In another bowl, combine all your wet ingredients; vegetable oil, vanilla essence, and egg. Whisk them all together until they are all combined. When they are fully mixed, add all the dry ingredients to the bowl. Slowly add in the hot water as you mix the wet and dry ingredients until the batter becomes smooth and silky.
- Preheat your oven to 180°. Grease a baking tray and add the batter, then bake it in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove it from the oven and set it on a cooling rack to cool.
- As the cake cools, you can begin to prepare the frosting. Place your butter into a bowl and whisk it until it becomes creamy. When it is creamy and white, add in your confectioner’s sugar, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Whisk the mixture as you add in your milk until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Once your cake has cooled, break it into pieces and crumble it up completely. Add in the frosting and mix everything well. Scoop the mixture into 1 tablespoon sizes and make them into balls.
- Grab your pop cake sticks and pierce through the base of the balls. Toss the cake pops into the freezer for an hour or more.
- When they are well chilled, melt the blue candy melts in a microwave. Pick each cake pop gently and dip it into the molten candy melts. Go on and sprinkle the green and blue sprinkles over the cake pop before the molten layer cools.
- Put the cake pops back into the freezer for another 15 to 20 minutes then serve with a nice beverage. Enjoy!
If you walk into a physical Starbucks outlet, ask the barista to give you an Earth Cake Pop. You can also ask for a blue cake pop. If you are using the app, go to the menu, find the Bakery tab, and scroll through the cake pops section until you find the Earth cake pop. Order and indicate the location for delivery.
The Starbucks menu is known to contain all sorts of delicious foods; both savory and sweet. Cake pops are some of the most popular items on the menu, thanks to how tasty they are. The blue cake pop is no exception, and it offers a unique flavor combination of vanilla and chocolate. It is every chocolate and sweet treat lover’s delight, and for good reason. Be sure to have some with a hot tea or coffee drink, or a cold refresher on a hot summer day. Be careful, though, not to overindulge because of the high caloric content.
What flavor is the Earth day cake pop at Starbucks?
This cake pop combines two flavors; vanilla and chocolate.
How much is the Earth day cake pop from Starbucks?
One goes for about $1.95.