Starbucks has a variety of refreshers on the official menu. The Valencia orange refresher was among the first refreshers launched in 2013.
Starbucks has a variety of popular refresher drinks but my absolute favorite is the Valencia orange refresher. The Valencia orange refresher was among the first refreshers launched by Starbucks in 2013. The refresher combines orange juice, clementine flavors, cardamom spices, jasmine, and apricot to give a hydrating and refreshing drink.
Unfortunately, Starbucks officially discontinued the Valencia orange refresher from all their stores. So you can only imagine my disappointment when I realized that I would never get to order my favorite drink again. And it seems I am not the only one who disagrees with Starbucks. Loyal Starbucks customers have gone as far as to sign petitions to bring back this fun, fruity, and hydrating drink but to no avail.
But don’t worry, this article will tell you all you need to know about the Valencia orange refresher and how to make it at home.
A brief history of the drink
The Valencia orange was first introduced to the Starbucks menu in 2013 and became an internet hit. The drink was loved by all Starbucks customers. According to Daily Mail, the Valencia orange refresher was among the first refreshers to appear on the Starbucks menu in 2013. The refresher is light and fruity with hints of cardamom spice, jasmine, and apricot.
Unfortunately, Starbucks has decided to drop it off their menu and replace it with the Strawberry acai refresher. This news did not sit well with loyal customers who have gone to launch complaints and started online petitions to bring back this tangy drink.
Is the Valencia orange refresher still available at Starbucks?
No. The Valencia orange refresher drink was discontinued in 2015. Starbucks issued an official notice stating that they had discontinued the fan-favorite Valencia orange refresher due to outages within their stores. It is still unclear whether the drink will make a comeback on the menu.
Starbucks loyal customers are devastated by the removal of the Valencia orange drink from the menu. Customers have also gone as far as to sign online petitions to save the drink but to no avail.
Sadly, Starbucks seems to have replaced this fan-favorite refresher with the Strawberry acai refresher and mango dragon fruit refresher. Fans are shocked that Starbucks has replaced the Valencia drink with other refreshers and they fail to understand why the mecca of caffeinated drinks would replace a fan favorite drink yet they can afford it.
Valencia orange refresher (Ingredients, Taste, Variations, Sizes, Caffeine, Calories)”
What’s in a Valencia orange refresher – (ingredients)
The Valencia orange drink combines real orange fruit and orange fruit juice. The drink is then combined with cardamom spices, jasmine, and apricot, finished off with ice, and then topped off with real orange slices to give a vibrant citrusy flavor with notes of cardamom spices, jasmine, and apricot. The drink is also lightly caffeinated due to the green tea coffee extract which gives you the right caffeine boost on a boring afternoon.
- Orange juice. Orange juice is the key ingredient to making the Valencia orange refresher. You can either buy orange juice from the store or make it yourself at home. Starbucks uses real oranges to make orange juice.
- Sweetener. A sweetener is an important ingredient when it comes to making the Valencia orange refresher. Starbucks uses a sugar syrup added to the refresher to balance out the tangy flavor. If you are on a weight loss diet, you can replace the sugar with a calorie-free Splenda sweetener.
- Ice. What’s a Valencia orange refresher without ice? After all, this is what makes the tangy drink cold, hydrating, and refreshing. But you need to ensure that you do not chew the ice as it can damage your teeth.
- Orange slices. The orange slices used as a garnish are what make a Valencia orange drink aesthetically pleasing. You can dry your orange slices or use them while they are still fresh.
- Green coffee extract powder. A Starbucks Valencia orange refresher without caffeine is just plain orange juice. The green coffee extract powder is added to a Valencia orange refresher for the extra caffeine boost.
Valencia orange refresher: Sizes, nutrition, Caffeine & Calories
What sizes are available
All Starbucks stores have four sizes for all their beverages. They have tall, Grande, Venti, and Trenta. The Trenta size is the largest of them all and holds about 30fl oz. of beverage. If you are looking for a caffeine fix with fewer calories and sugar content, we recommend ordering the tall Valencia orange drink size.
Starbucks isn’t known for its healthy beverages but surprisingly, the Valencia orange refresher is healthier than most Starbucks drinks. The refresher only packs about 140 calories with zero fats. The refresher has whooping 20mg sodium content and 34g carbs. While it is not the healthiest drink on the menu, you can keep your calories in check and include the Valencia orange refresher on your go-to drinks list. Below is a summary of the nutritional content of the Valencia orange refresher.
|Calorie count||140 calories|
|Nutrient content||% and grams of Daily value|
|Fat content||0% fat|
|34g net carbs
|Sugar in Grande||30 grams|
If you are looking for the perfect fruit-flavored drink with a bit of caffeine, the Valencia orange refresher is the one for you. The drinks have a whopping 80mg caffeine content that is sure to give you the right energy boost on a dull afternoon.
So, what does Valencia orange refresher taste like?
The Valencia orange refresher tastes like a mix of oranges and tangerines but it is not too sweet. The drink is refreshing and hydrating with a hit of sourness. The caffeinated drink has a tangy citrus flavor that fans are obsessed with.
The Valencia orange refresher combines orange fruit, orange slices, and peels with notes of cardamom, apricot, and jasmine topped off with ice for a refreshing and hydrating drink. The green tea extract is not too overwhelming making the refresher lightly caffeinated to give you the caffeine boost you need on a warm day.
Ways to Customize Valencia orange refresher –Valencia orange refresher Variations
Even though Starbucks plays a key role in giving us the caffeine boost we need daily, the best part about their menu is that you can customize all your drink orders. You do not need to stick to boring espressos and black coffees.
You can order any drink you like, your favorite toppings, and even substitute ingredients with your own. Even better, you can create a new secret menu hack if you are a creative person. Just like all Starbucks drinks, the Valencia orange refresher also has variations that can be made to it. You can order:
- Peach ring tea. The peach ring tea combines the Valencia orange refresher with passion iced tea in a ratio of 1:1. Starbucks makes the peach ring tea with Teavana white tea which is lightly sweetened with cane sugar. To order this drink, ask the barista to give you a Grande peach ring tea with 2 to 4 pumps of peach syrup. Ask for no water. This peach ring tea secret menu drink tastes exactly like peach ring gummies.
How to make Valencia orange refresher at home – strawberry acai refresher copycat Recipe
- Mason jar or cup
- Whisk or spoon
- Orange juice
- Orange slices
- Green tea coffee extract
- Lemon iced tea
- To a cup or mason jar, add your orange juice, water, and ice up to ¾. Then add your iced lemon tea
- Add the green tea extract. Stir the mixture well until fully incorporated into the drink
- Add ice for a more refreshing drink
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar to your refresher drink and mix well with a spoon
- Slice up some oranges into thin wedges and use for garnish
- Enjoy your tangy and citrus hydrating drink
- Use green tea coffee extract to light caffeinate the Valencia orange refresher.
- You can use strawberry juice to make the Valencia orange refresher instead of water for a more tangy taste.
- Replace sugar with Splenda which is a no-calorie sweetener if you are on a weight loss diet.
How do you order a Valencia orange refresher?
To order a Valencia orange refresher, ask the barista for a Grande Valencia orange refresher with orange juice and orange peels. Add ice for a hydrating fruity drink, cardamom, jasmine, and apricot to make the drink spice. Finish the drink off with orange slices for an aesthetically pleasing look.
Why did Starbucks get rid of the Valencia orange refresher
In an official statement on Twitter, Starbucks announced that they were experiencing temporary outages on their main refreshers. Starbucks discontinued the Valencia orange refresher despite the backlash. The reason for discontinuing the refresher is still unknown. But, Starbucks tends to switch out refresher flavors every few years. So, we look forward to having the Valencia orange refresher back on the menu. Hopefully soon!
Will Starbucks bring back Valencia orange
Sadly no! Despite constant customer complaints and petitions, it seems Starbucks will not re-introduce the Valencia orange refresher back on the menu. The refresher was replaced by the cool lime refresher. So it seems there is zero chance of this refresher making a return any time soon or ever.