If you are not new to Starbucks pumpkin spice latte, then you have consumed pumpkin spice sauce. But what is Starbucks pumpkin spice sauce? Read on to find out more!
Starbucks pumpkin spice sauce is a thick base that adds flavor to lattes and frappuccinos. I used to look forward to the fall season to enjoy a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks. I discovered that the pumpkin spice sauce was what made this drink stand out. I learned that Starbucks makes it with real pumpkin puree. Due to the few ingredients the Starbucks pumpkin spice sauce has, I even learned how to make it at home.
Brief History of the sauce
Pumpkin spice has been used as a flavor for thousands of years. The first documented use of pumpkin spice was around 1000 BC in Ancient Greece. Back then, dishes such as pasta with pumpkin sauce were quite common. Starbucks started using pumpkin spice sauce in 2015 as an ingredient in drinks like pumpkin spice latte.
Though this coffee house began developing pumpkin spice lattes in 2003, it changed its recipes in 2015. Initially, the pumpkin spice latte included artificial colors, but the coffee house had to change its ingredients after numerous complaints. Since then, Starbucks has been making its pumpkin spice latte with pumpkin spice sauce, and it no longer adds caramel color to the pumpkin spice sauce.
Is Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Sauce still available at Starbucks?
Yes. Starbucks pumpkin spice sauce is available at this coffee house. However, you cannot buy it alone since Starbucks only avails it with certain beverages, such as Pumpkin spice latte. This latte is a seasonal drink that returned to the fall menu on August 30, 2022, and is still being sold at Starbucks. The coffee house uses its own flavored pumpkin spice sauce from Fontana, which is the official manufacturer of its sauces.
Where to buy Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Sauce
If you are struggling to find pumpkin spice sauce at Starbucks, you can buy it from online marketplaces such as Amazon. Click here to check it out. Such sites make it easy to access the sauce, especially if you prefer making your own drinks at home.
Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Sauce (Ingredients, Taste, Calories, name variations)
What’s in a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Sauce – (ingredients)
According to the Starbucks website, pumpkin spice sauce is made of condensed skim milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, vegetable and fruit juice, salt, natural flavors, potassium sorbate, and annatto. Let’s talk about each ingredient.
- Condensed skim milk– This is added to the pumpkin spice sauce to give it a sweet and concentrated creaminess.
- Pumpkin puree-It gives the sauce its delicious flavor and creamy texture
- Sugar– This sweetens the pumpkin spice sauce
- Vegetable and fruit juice-They give the sauce its color
- Natural flavors-It gives the sauce a mellow smoothness and leads to a rich depth
- Annatto– This ingredient enhances the flavor of Starbucks pumpkin spice sauce
- Potassium sorbate-It prevents the growth of yeast on the sauce and keeps it fresh for longer
Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Sauce: Nutrition & Calories
One pump of Pumpkin spice sauce has around 30 calories. It is made up of 0.1 grams of fat, 7.5 grams of carbs, 0.5 grams of sodium, and another 0.5 grams of protein. The number of calories can differ based on the specific beverage you would like to order with Pumpkin spice sauce.
For instance, if you order a short pumpkin spice latte which is often served with this sauce, Starbucks will add two pumps of the sauce to your drink. This means that the sauce alone will have 60 calories. On the other hand, a tall cup of pumpkin spice latte is served with three pumps of pumpkin spice sauce. This means that the calories from the sauce alone would be 90.
Though delicious, Starbucks pumpkin sauce has been receiving some criticism over the years due to its high sugar content. No matter the beverage you order with pumpkin spice sauce, you should take your time to evaluate the total calories you would be consuming. If you choose a high-calorie drink with this sauce, take it occasionally and not every day.
So, what does Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Sauce taste like?
Starbucks pumpkin spice sauce is quite sweet. Many people like it since it enhances the taste of Starbucks beverages. It also comes with a creamy texture thanks to the inclusion of condensed milk in its making. If you find this sauce too sugary, you can try to customize the beverage you order it with to reduce the sugar content.
Drinks (or foods) that use Pumpkin Spice Sauce
The main Starbucks drinks that are made with Pumpkin spice sauce include the following.
- Pumpkin spice latte– This is one of the most popular drinks you may like. It contains not only pumpkin spice sauce but also 2% milk, pumpkin spice topping, signature espresso, and whipped cream.
- Iced pumpkin spice latte– This is the cold version of pumpkin spice latte that is also made with pumpkin spice sauce. It can be quite refreshing on a hot day. You can order it with classic syrup.
- Pumpkin spice frappuccino– Starbucks also adds pumpkin spice sauce to this frappuccino. It is made up of milk, frappuccino roast, pumpkin spice sauce, whipped cream, and pumpkin spice topping.
- Pumpkin cream cold brew– You can also order this beverage with one pump of pumpkin spice sauce. To order, tell the barista to serve you a cold brew with the sauce and sugar-free vanilla.
- Pumpkin spice chai latte– If you enjoy taking tea, feel free to order this drink which also comes with a few pumps of pumpkin spice sauce. It also contains 2% milk, milk foam, and pumpkin spice topping.
Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Sauce: Other names
Pumpkin spice sauce does not have a nickname. However, you may hear some people using the terms Starbucks pumpkin spice sauce and pumpkin spice syrup interchangeably. However, experts reveal that they are not the same since Pumpkin spice sauce uses condensed milk while syrup uses water. Also, the sauce is smoother and thicker than the pumpkin spice syrup.
How to make Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Sauce at home – Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Sauce Copycat Recipe
Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Sauce Copycat Recipe
- Mason jar
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- One can of sweetened condensed milk
- Put the pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree, and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl.
- Stir the three ingredients together for a while
- If you notice lumps in the mixture, you can get rid of them by whisking the ingredients
- Once you achieve a smooth consistency, transfer the pumpkin spice sauce into a mason jar and refrigerate it
- You can use a tablespoon of this in your favorite drink like a latte, coffee, or frappuccino
- Remember to refrigerate the remaining sauce so that it remains fresh until the next time you need it
- You can also make pumpkin spice sauce with dairy-free sweetened condensed milk. Simply buy this and the rest of the ingredients, then repeat the process above.
- Once you have made the pumpkin spice sauce, you should let it stay in the refrigerator for a while before using it so that it does not get caught in your throat.
- As you refrigerate the sauce, ensure that it is the jar is well closed. With proper storage, you can use homemade pumpkin spice sauce for about two weeks.
- Get rid of the sauce if it has a weird smell and visible signs of mold growth.
Is Starbucks pumpkin sauce available all year round?
No. Starbucks pumpkin sauce is only available for a limited duration at the coffee house.
Can you buy just pumpkin sauce at Starbucks?
No. Starbucks does not sell just pumpkin sauce. However, you can get just the sauce from other stores, such as Amazon.
How much does Starbucks pumpkin sauce cost?
Starbucks pumpkin sauce is around $74.99 at most sites.
What brand of pumpkin sauce does Starbucks use?
Starbucks uses its own brand of pumpkin sauce, but it is manufactured by Fontana.
Is Starbucks pumpkin sauce gluten-free?
Though Starbucks pumpkin sauce is not made with any ingredients that contain gluten, it has not been certified as gluten-free. According to the company’s policy, third-party certification is important for the company to declare a product gluten-free.
Is Starbucks pumpkin sauce vegan?
No. Starbucks pumpkin sauce is not vegan since it contains dairy products.
Is Starbucks pumpkin sauce sweet?
Yes. This sauce is sweet since it includes sugar.
How many ounces are in Starbucks pumpkin sauce?
Starbucks pumpkin sauce sold on Amazon is 63 ounces.
Does Starbucks Pumpkin Sauce have nutmeg?
No. Starbucks pumpkin sauce does not have nutmeg. This ingredient is available in the pumpkin spice topping and not the sauce.