This drink combines two tropical flavors to make a nice exotic beverage. Everything about it is (according to my daughter), delightful, right from the taste to the color. So, what is the Starbucks Guava Passion Fruit Refresher about?
As you may have guessed, my daughter is a huge fan of this drink. If she is not having a mango and passion fruit smoothie, she is having a guava passion fruit refresher. Seeing as I am not always in a position to run to Starbucks and order it, I have figured out a way to make it ourselves at home. That said, it is quite clear that I have learned a thing or two about the drink, and this article compiles everything you may want to know about it, including my go-to recipe for when I am making it at home. Here goes.
Popular as this drink is, it has only been around for about two years. It was introduced into the Starbucks menu in May of 2020. It was inspired by tropical flavors and summer, and its recipe was developed to give its consumers that summer holiday feel.
It is served fresh in Starbucks, but the company is yet to introduce bottled or canned versions of the same.
Yes, this refresher is available in all Starbucks outlets across the United States. Being that it is only made to order, it is only available in different cup sizes. The drink is also available in all Starbucks outlets in Canada.
A classic guava passion fruit refresher is made using the following ingredients;
- Guava flavored juice blend – This is essentially the base of the drink. It is constituted using multiple ingredients which include water, guava juice concentrate, passion juice, and grape juice concentrate. The blend of juices makes for a sweet and tart flavor that is pleasantly rich.
- Natural color from fruits and vegetables – The prevalent pink color is not from the guava alone. The drink also includes fruit and vegetable juice made from sweet potato, pumpkin, apple, cherry, and radish. This same juice comes with citric acid to build the overall acidity of the drink for better flavor.
- Coconut milk – This refresher has a characteristic milky color and coconut flavor to it, and this is because its recipe also includes coconut milk. The coconut milk used is made from coconut cream, water, cane sugar, coconut water, salt, and other builder ingredients.
- Flavor builders – To add to the sweetness and overall texture and flavor of the refresher, this drink contains pineapple ginger syrup and natural flavors, and it is fortified with Vitamin D2. It is also made using ice to make it cold and refreshing. The drink also includes permitted natural flavors and preservatives.
Even though it contains water and coconut milk, this drink is largely comprised of fruit juices that are rich in flavor, and this is why it is very tasty. The extra pineapple ginger syrup adds to the tropical flavor and enhances the characteristic warmth of ginger in the drink.
What sizes are available?
Since the drink is made to order at Starbucks, it is available in different cup sizes. It comes in three main sizes. The smallest available cup size is the Tall cup which comes with 12 fl oz of drink. The second size is a Grande cup which contains 16 fl oz of the refresher. This is the most popular size since it strikes a nice balance between the juice and ice quantities.
The largest available cup is the Venti which accommodates 24 fl oz of the drink. It is ideal to order when you want extra ice so you do not skimp on the overall quantity of juice you will get.
From the list of ingredients, it is clear that this drink is largely comprised of fruit juices and other natural extracts. For this reason, it packs a decent vitamin and anti-oxidant punch. When it comes to calories, it is slightly on the heavy side when compared to many other fruit-based refreshers, delivering 190 calories when you order a Grande cup.
Below is a tabulated representation of the drink’s nutritional facts.
|Calories||190 per 16 fl oz|
From the above table, it is clear that this drink does not include any caffeine as its original recipe does not call for it. This, however, is not to mean that you cannot have caffeine in yours because you can customize the drink when making your order to include coffee or tea.
The drink has a rich tropical fruit flavor which is combined with a nice creaminess from the coconut milk added. You can also taste a warm tone from the ginger flavor added by the pineapple ginger syrup used to sweeten the drink.
Here are a few ways in which you can customize your guava passion fruit refresher to give it an interesting twist.
- Use an alternative type of milk
If you are not too keen on the coconut flavor in the refresher, you can have it swapped with something else. You can have almond milk or regular milk added, but this may reduce the tropical feel of the drink.
- Sweeten it with a different syrup flavor
To add a different flavor profile to your drink, you can ask the barista to use a different sweetener in place of the pineapple ginger syrup. You can have vanilla or hazelnut syrup added to your drink, or the classic Starbucks syrup if you want to dial back on the rich tropical taste.
- Have a bit of caffeine added
Even though it is not a caffeinated drink, you can have a shot of espresso or tea added to your order to give it that kick. It will, however, add a new flavor to the refresher which you may or may not like.
How to make Guava Passion Fruit Refresher at Home - Guava Passion Fruit Refresher Copycat Recipe
- A clean jug or pitcher
- A sauce pan
- A juicer
- Drinking glasses
- Drinking straws
- A stirring spoon
- Guava juice
- Passion juice
- Pineapple juice
- Fresh ginger
- Coconut milk
- Syrup for sweetening
- Cherry juice (optional)
- Prep the pineapple and ginger rootIf you do not have the pineapple and ginger syrup, you can make your own. Use a juice extractor to obtain juice from the pineapple. Wash and slice the ginger into thin strips. Proceed to pour the pineapple juice into a saucepan and add the sliced ginger. Boil the mixture over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Set in the fridge to cool - you do not want to use it hot.
- Constitute the juice baseIn a clean jug, combine the passion juice, guava juice, coconut milk, water, and syrup. Give the mix a good stir to make sure that everything is well incorporated. The cherry juice is great for enhancing the pink color, so go on and add it until you are satisfied with the drink’s color.
- Add the pineapple ginger syrupWhen the base is constituted, go on and add the cooled pineapple ginger syrup. Add as much as you need depending on how rich you want the flavor to be.
- ServeInto the clean glasses, add ice cubes until the glass is half full. Proceed to pour in the constituted juice. Enjoy!
- You can buy the pineapple ginger syrup if you do not want to make your own.
- Feel free to use any other type of nut milk for this recipe.
- You can use passion tea bags instead of passion juice if you want to add caffeine.
How do you order a Guava Passion Fruit Refresher?
Simply ask for a guava passion fruit refresher and be sure to mention the cup size you need.
Is the guava passion fruit refresher good?
Yes, this drink is pretty tasty and also has a nice balance of vitamins and antioxidants.
What is the guava passion fruit refresher price?
A tall cup of this drink costs $4.50 while a grande costs $5.65.
The guava passion fruit refresher is a tasty drink that can be taken at any time of day, and that also goes well with many types of snacks. If you get a craving in the dead of night and have most ingredients with you, feel free to make a glass or two to enjoy with loved ones.
Kai Jordan worked as a Certified Nutrition Specialist and now a food critic whose main objective is to provide consumers with as much information as they need to make the right choices concerning foods and drinks. Jordan is passionate about helping the public reach their health-related goals but also keen on reviewing foods and drinks offered by some of the famous restaurants the likes of Starbucks.
Kai has therefore created well-researched and comprehensive excerpts regarding the services and products offered by the giant restaurant chain. And which can be retrieved from Starbmag.com, apart from talking writing, and dealing with food Kai loves also to Kayak. You can read more about me on the about us page.