Taking a sip of a healthy chocolate banana smoothie is the best way to start or continue your day. Read on to find out all you need to know about Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie including a recipe for a copycat smoothie.
When you want to quench your thirst but feel like drinking water will fill you up without enabling you to eat something sweet, a chocolate banana smoothie is a way to go. I must say, I have been in the same situation a couple of times and in all those times I regret drinking water. Once you have water in, you just don’t feel like having any other food. You start to regret it when five minutes later you are hungry with no means of getting food in time.
Well, say goodbye to those hunger growls. Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie gives you a satisfactory fill and energizes you while still giving you a delicious experience. I’ll share with you everything you need to know about the smoothie but first, let’s delve into its history.
Brief History of the Drink
Back in 2015, Starbucks partnered with Dannon and Evolution Fresh to release its first line of smoothies. Among them was a chocolate banana smoothie. As you may already know Starbucks drinks are not always focused on fruits so this was an unexpected turn. The customers were quick to try them out and well, the smoothies sold out pretty admirably. Chocolate banana smoothie most especially stood out. Customers loved that they could enjoy the fresh fruity taste of Evolution Fresh and the sweet acidic taste of Starbucks all in one cup.
Is Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie still available at Starbucks?
Sadly, Starbucks discontinued its line of smoothies after a few years. The chocolate banana smoothie is therefore no longer on the Starbucks menu board. This however does not mean that the smoothie is completely gone, its recipe still lives n and I will give you an exclusive walk through it.
Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie (Ingredients, Taste, Variations, Sizes, Caffeine, Calories, Dairy Content)
- What is in a chocolate banana smoothie – (Ingredients)
One thing with Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie is that the ingredients in it are as simple as the name is. Starbucks wanted to come up with a smoothie that had few ingredients and was simple and at the same time natural. The ingredients for the smoothie are bananas, Greek yogurt, almond milk, honey, and chocolate protein powder. All I can say is, that Starbucks pretty much nailed it. Now let’s look at each ingredient individually.
- Banana: use a frozen banana because it will give you a thick consistency with a good texture. If you have to use one that is not frozen, use it together with ice cubes, the banana should be ripe and healthy. It will bring together the taste of the smoothie
- Greek yogurt: it has more proteins and keeps the sugar in the smoothie low. It is a strained yogurt so it has fewer calories. It also contributes to the thick consistency of the smoothie.
- Almond milk: almond milk is a plant milk which means it has no lactose. This makes it good for intake even by those who are lactose intolerant. It can be substituted with regular milk or soy milk. You can use it if you intend to make the smoothie vegan.
- Honey: use this as a sweetener for your smoothie. You can substitute with agave but honey is a much better option since it is vegan.
- Chocolate protein powder: it has the vitamins and minerals that your smoothie needs. It also comes with health benefits like reduced risk of getting sick and it makes your smoothie taste even better.
- Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie: Sizes, nutrition, caffeine, dairy, content & calories
What sizes are available?
Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie only comes in one size; grande which is 16-ounce. That does not however mean that you can’t go bigger or smaller. Since it is no longer at Starbucks you can make it at home and enjoy it in any size you want. A grande size is the average size and I find it enough for me. Plus it is very convenient for those who are trying the smoothie for the first time. Sometimes though, I want to have a smaller cup and that is the luxury you get to enjoy when making it at home.
What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear Starbucks? Well for some people it is the word unhealthy written in bold. This is however not true. Had it been true, Starbucks would have been long gone. It is all a matter of taking what is good for you and leaving that which is not. For instance, I am allergic to eggs, naturally, they are unhealthy for me. This does not mean they are unhealthy to everyone else. The same applies to Starbucks chocolate banana smoothies. To know where you stand with this smoothie, I will take you through its nutritional facts.
Based on a grande serving, the chocolate banana smoothie has 270 calories against the standard diet of 2000 calories per day. This is contributed by the carbs, fat, and protein. The carbohydrates form 17% of daily intake while 5g of fat is 6% of daily value. Others are cholesterol which forms 5% of daily intake and sodium forming 6% of daily intake. There is also 12g of proteins. Other than that there are vitamin D, calcium, iron, and potassium. Under carbohydrates, dietary fiber takes 21% of daily value and the sugar is 30g.
From this, you can decide if Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie is healthy for you or not. If it is not, you can adjust by reducing the size of the drink or increasing your intake interval. It is all a matter of perception and once you realize that the bold unhealthy word might just go away.
The table below summarizes all the nutritional facts I have discussed above:
|Calorie count (out of 2000 calories daily intake)||270|
|Nutrient content (per grande serving)||% Daily Value|
Saturated Fat (3g)
|Total carbohydrates (48g)
Dietary Fiber (6g)
Starbucks is known for its highly caffeinated drinks. This does not however apply to the smoothies. They may be caffeinated but the caffeine in them is very low. It is contributed by the mocha syrup that is otherwise substituted with chocolate powder. This means you can have your smoothie caffeinated or caffeine-free: another added advantage. I prefer my smoothie caffeinated, another aim at two birds with a single stone.
Almond milk is used to make Starbucks chocolate banana smoothies. About half a cup is used in a grande serving. Almond milk can be substituted with soy milk. Starbucks uses its brand of dairy products so the almond milk used is of Starbucks brand. Other than that Greek yogurt is also used to make the smoothie. Since Starbucks partnered with Dannon, their brand of Greek yogurt is used.
- So, what does Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie taste like?
Delicious! When you take the first sip you taste the sweet creamy taste of banana then the chocolate starts to kick in and the combination is just heavenly. The best thing is that you can taste each ingredient individually, even the honey. Then the individual tastes come together in amazing sync which keeps you taking more and more sips until your cup is empty.
- Ways to customize a Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie at Starbucks – Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie variations
Over the years Starbucks has taken into consideration the requests of its customers. This has enabled them to deliver good products and services. It allows the customers to order the drinks in whichever way they want. In the same way, the chocolate banana smoothie can be customized in a variety of ways. You can choose your preferred milk type. The options range from whole milk, almond milk, soy milk, heavy cream, and oat milk. You can also choose the type of sweetener you want. This way you can order the same drink in several different ways.
How to make Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie at home – Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie Recipe
Equipment needed to make Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie at home
- Chopping board
- Measuring cup and spoons
Ingredients needed to make a chocolate banana smoothie at home
- 1 banana
- 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder
- 170g of Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of honey
How to make Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie at home – Directions
- Put all the ingredients in the blender. Chop the banana into pieces if it does not fit whole
- Blend until smooth
- Serve your chocolate banana smoothie and enjoy!
- You can use a food processor instead of a blender. Blender is a much better option since it works better making your work easier
- If you want a vegan smoothie you can substitute the honey with agave.
- Using frozen bananas is much better since it gives you a thick consistency. You can however use ice cubes when working with unfrozen bananas.
How to order a Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie
Ordering drinks at Starbucks can be done in-app or at the physical store. When you are at the store you simply tell the barista the drink you want. When ordering online, however, you tap on the chocolate banana smoothie and follow the steps until you confirm your order.
Is the Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie good?
Yes, it is. You can be sure that the smoothie does not disappoint. From the great taste to the amazing presentation, Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie is the best.
How much is Starbucks chocolate banana smoothie?
The smoothie is sold at $3.39 for a grande sized cup.